• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Common misconceptions about BDO and Open World PvP/PK

57 posts in this topic

Posted

to be honest black desert is NOT a competetive PvP game... if u really say it is competetive than you NEVER played a competetive PvP game

even archeage is more competetive than BDO at the moment

Counting down the DAYS until node wars and competitive PVP starts..

Posted

soon dude very very very soon 2019

Posted

I understand your point and can almost sympathize with it, but after the way the community on that side of the fence has traditionally treated PvE'ers I can only see it a long overdue comeuppance.

well there are certainly better ways to go at it, llike putting a reasonable balance at the same time as removing the xp, or opening a discussion prior to the patch with saying "hey were gonna do this, what do you players think about it or what kind of balances can be made with it", but stuff like this is how you make a large portion of a community enraged

Posted

Nice read OP... I agree completely. (afk is not risk-free unless you are in a safe zone... duh)

The dev statement I read from the devs (I should hunt down link, but I'm lazy today), was that the 1% xp loss is too high going forward. And I agree with that as well. I mean, when I'm sitting there staring at this other player, thinking "hmm... if I loose I loose 10 hours of grinding time? may just pass on this one". So as my levels get higher, I actually pvp less in open-world.

So, the devs had a problem, they tried to fix it, they did it the wrong way. The correct fix would have been to do something like remove the 'graduated-xp' and make it fixed. For example, suppose a death resulted in 15-30 minutes of grind, no matter what level you are. Basically, instead of being "1% of current level", it would have been something like "X xp points". That would have solved the dev's concerns, kept basic owpvp excitement in tact, possibly even increasing people's activity in pvp and/or decreasing their fear of it.

Posted

bdo was never meant as a "pure pvp game"....its still a MMO with PVP elements aswell as PVE elements in it, so why ppl say its a PVP game...no its not its an "open world do what you want"-game ^^

and btw what wall of text.....why just dont write pls in 1-2 sentences at the beginning what you actually want and THEN give the walltext....i mean sry i stopped reading after the 2 quotes because i didnt even know what you really wanted to say there oO

Posted (edited)

Black desert is a game, so by definition it is a form of competitive activity played according to the rules (the pvp system + flagging system + karma system).
Black Desert had open world PvP and PK since it's first day out of the doors of Pearl Abyss, in korea in CBT1. And Pearl Abyss mentioned that it will always be part of BDO and kept as unrestricted as possible, as every aspect of the game revolves around it. 
By definition open world pvp is unfair small or large scale pvp in which different tools are used to achieve a goal.
And for those wondering if BDO is a PvP game, the answer is yes. And i quote:

Black Desert Online is a competitive PvP game, where open world PvP and PK’ing is possible. We expect our players to look for an in game resolution for these issues.

Source: https://blackdesert.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/207567515-Reporting-a-Player-for-Harassment . This piece can also be found on the main page, in ToS, on facebook and twitter and also on youtube. It can also be found on the pages affiliated with Pearl Abyss (PA).

This being said, BDO promotes competition. Competition is the opposite of cooperation. It arises whenever at least two parties (2 players or 2 guilds related to bdo) strive for a goal which cannot be shared or which is desired individually (every resource in game, including monsters) but not in sharing and cooperation. Competition occurs naturally between living organisms (players) which co-exist in the same environment (the world of black desert).

Thank you for this. Bait and switch is proven right here. I would have never played this game if I knew they would do this.

Edited by Slen

Posted

to be honest black desert is NOT a competetive PvP game... if u really say it is competetive than you NEVER played a competetive PvP game

even archeage is more competetive than BDO at the moment

Sigh.. I was only remembering this:

http://forum.blackdesertonline.com/index.php?/topic/85931-valencia-part-1-is-coming-to-bdo/

Not this..

Posted

Agreed it isnt the best fix .. but

this is the same guy who is posting that his guild will be "hunting Carebears" and that is in revenge for the decision DAUM made?

Dress it up any way you want .. you have no argument as long as your defending spiteful and petty behavior of a minority

Posted

I understand your point and can almost sympathize with it, but after the way the community on that side of the fence has traditionally treated PvE'ers I can only see it a long overdue comeuppance.

Look every comment of PvE'ers on this page: insults and verbal abuse.

This is a fact since the CBT1 in EU/NA.

Posted

I'm all for PvP and fighting for stuff, but you shouldn't go about insulting the people that refrain from it and vice versa. People that don't PvP should have gotten used to surviving by now.

What I like is this is a world that thrives on different possibilities, but also on risk. People will just have to get by as best they can. The 1 percent penalty some people think is steep 55+ some say its just right. Idk about a penalty, but any type of reward or indication of PvP being viable works for me because if you PvP you stand only to lose a lot right now. 

Posted

Another wall of text.

I'm pretty sure you don't even play this game, because you spend 24/7 on the forums whining.

Posted

Look every comment of PvE'ers on this page: insults and verbal abuse.

This is a fact since the CBT1 in EU/NA.

And exactly HOW is that any different from the trash, hate and vitriol that gets spewed by the PvP community in every thread that pops up? 

Karma is a fickle -----, ain't she?

Posted (edited)

I'm pretty sure you don't even play this game, because you spend 24/7 on the forums whining.

ChunChun, on jordine, level 56, 145ap, 182dp. (t7horse if it matters, proffesional 6 and 2 at breeding, proffesional 6 at gathering, proffesional 3 at processing, skilled 8 at fishing, skilled 5 at cooking proffesional 2 at alchemy, skilled 1 at trading - on all charcters together, since energy forces you to do life skills on different chars).

IF you want to test me out, i'm waiting. I like surprise atacks.

Now, can you please stay on topic like a mature person?

Edited by Chun-Chun

Posted

ChunChun, on jordine, level 56, 145ap, 182dp. (t7horse if it matters, proffesional 6 and 2 at breeding, proffesional 6 at gathering, proffesional 3 at processing, skilled 8 at fishing, skilled 5 at cooking proffesional 2 at alchemy, skilled 1 at trading - on all charcters together, since energy forces you to do life skills on different chars).

IF you want to test me out, i'm waiting. I like surprise atacks.

Now, can you please stay on topic like a mature person?

Sure.

On topic, you can kill people all you want. You can pk to your hearts content. Nothing is stopping you.  Are you afraid of a little penalty? When I pk'd in Ultima Online, if I died with a lot of murder counts, my character would essentially be rendered useless and basically not even worth keeping.  That's a pk penalty.  BDO is child's play compared.  So go kill people, nothing is stopping you from flagging.

Posted

Sure.

On topic, you can kill people all you want. You can pk to your hearts content. Nothing is stopping you.  Are you afraid of a little penalty? When I pk'd in Ultima Online, if I died with a lot of murder counts, my character would essentially be rendered useless and basically not even worth keeping.  That's a pk penalty.  BDO is child's play compared.  So go kill people, nothing is stopping you from flagging.

I also played ultima online, and i remember that the one that you killed also lost something.

What do you lose in bdo as a positive karma player when you die? Feel free to compare it to UO.

Posted

But but but... isn't the true and only interesting PvP supposed to begin with Valencia ?

I find it funny to complain about such small part of the game very badly structured and imbalanced yet. Guild wars are reserved to a small part of the community, a lot of players outside the concerned guilds aren't participing and most of the declarations are not serious and usually declined when a World Boss appears. Regarding Battlegrounds, a lot of players (not only PvP-ers but also PvE players, beginners... ) are strongly incited to join BG (for energy regeneration 'cause of 0 PvE alternative) without any bracket but lvl 50 as the only requirement (also known as butchery). And now you know the rest about Open PvP.

No really, actually we really have an empty shell, right now it has been like a trimester of preparition for the upcoming content. The actual one is not worth it for a Triple A nor a game supposed to be inclined to PvP.

Posted (edited)

But but but... isn't the true and only interesting PvP supposed to begin with Valencia ?

I find it funny to complain about such small part of the game very badly structured and imbalanced yet. Guild wars are reserved to a small part of the community, a lot of players outside the concerned guilds aren't participing and most of the declarations are not serious and usually declined when a World Boss appears. Regarding Battlegrounds, a lot of players (not only PvP-ers but also PvE players, beginners... ) are strongly incited to join BG (for energy regeneration 'cause of 0 PvE alternative) without any bracket but lvl 50 as the only requirement (also known as butchery). And now you know the rest about Open PvP.

No really, actually we really have an empty shell, right now it has been like a trimester of preparition for the upcoming content. The actual one is not worth it for a Triple A nor a game supposed to be inclined to PvP.

Is the PvP not being perfect and excuse for making it worse?

Doubt it...

Thanks for being the first to write constructive feedback tho`.

Edited by Chun-Chun

Posted

Noxious stench still remain.

Posted (edited)

OP is talking rubbish.

His very first link directs you to a page dealing with PVP harassment. Nowhere on that page does it mention the game is solely PVP.

OP needs to start understanding "context". When the context is PVP harrassment, of course there will be no mention of PVE.

CM_JOUSKA SAID ON THIS VERY FORUM ONLY A FEW WEEKS AGO THAT THIS GAME WAS BOTH PVE AND PVP.

Toxics eh? Can't live with 'em, can't replace their brains.

Edited by Keth

Posted

i just want to grind flowers dude...... i need months of grinding flowers to get 55.When retards appear and kill me, i am forced to grind again months to get back my xp.....NO exp loss anymore GET OVER IT DUDE...END GAME IS FLOWER GRINDING you like it or not...

Posted

Korea has no exp loss on pk
Korea is masterrace
Therefore we are new masterrace
plebs

Posted

Korea has no exp loss on pk
Korea is masterrace
Therefore we are new masterrace
plebs

This is not korea.

Please don't spam.

Posted

The recent changes brought upon the PvP system of BDO restrict the players by removing consequences of PvP, and not replacing them with anything else. Those consequences were in place to determinate a winner of a conflict over a resource in the open world. Due to this change right now fights result in no winner and tend to go on forever and result in unhealthy behaviour such as one party of the conflict insulting upon the other which is considered harassment. This change also promotes Monster Kill Stealing which is considered unhealthy behaviour by many gaming communities.

I am extremely impressed with the high level mental gymnastics this single paragraph must have required in order to go from "My randomly and pointlessly killing someone causes them reduced harm" to "This is going to result in an increase in harassment".

Bravo!

Posted

Bravo!

Thanks, i guess xD

Stil waiting for feedback tho`.

Posted

Going over 45 isn't a decision. It just happens. If there was a quest still in place gating it, then yes it would be a decision. The way they messed up the lvl 50 PvP situation the only decision here is to to do the work to stay under 45. 

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0