• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Beginner help?

11 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello guys.Ive bought the game since beta,but because my computer could not handle the game I didnt play at all.Now I ve updated my computer and I can max out everything.So far i love the game, but I feel overwhelmed of all the mechanics(which to tell the truth arent explained in detail in game).I know they are tons of information online but they are topic based, and I need something a bit more general.Like ok I am doing every quest i find but then what?What is a golden line of gameplay actions I have to take.Like do quests/dont do quests, then lvl up,then get better gear then master a profession.I want some general tips about what should be my main point in the game.I like what I am doing so far, but I dont get a sense of progression, its like going around in circles of quests and grind without having a point in what I do.Also another question(maybe a bit silly).My pc has i7 quand core 3,50ghz,16 gb ram, gtx 980 4gb.As I ve said I ve maxed everything ,and even though I have very good frame rate(51-55 all maxed out), the graphics quallity seems inferior than the one I ve seen on youtube videos.Am I doing something wrong, because I thought my specs would be great to play.

Posted

It is an open world sandbox MMORPG, there is no golden line. You do what you want to do or feel like doing. Your main point in the game is what you want it to be. You sound like you don't have a mind of your own and need someone to hold your hand and tell you what to do. So maybe this isn't your kind of game. As this is the kind of game that is open and sandbox to do as you want.

Are you the kind of person that likes levelling, then do that, or crafting, do that. Or both, all or whatever.

I don't care about gear or levelling, my goal is to max out every profession, with exploring and questing as well.

Posted

Lean about AFK fishing as soon as possible, it's the way that you can fund everything elese.

Posted

It is an open world sandbox MMORPG, there is no golden line. You do what you want to do or feel like doing. Your main point in the game is what you want it to be. You sound like you don't have a mind of your own and need someone to hold your hand and tell you what to do. So maybe this isn't your kind of game. As this is the kind of game that is open and sandbox to do as you want.

Are you the kind of person that likes levelling, then do that, or crafting, do that. Or both, all or whatever.

I don't care about gear or levelling, my goal is to max out every profession, with exploring and questing as well.

Allow me to explain better because I believe you got the wrong idea.I am not telling you ''Ok I bought the game what do I do now?".I am asking you if there is a certain line of actions I have to take in order to be on par with the rest of the playerbase since this is a multiplayer game.If it was a single player game then sure, I would run around doing whatever I wanted.But since eventually I will have to work with other players, I have to be competent.The world we live in now is open world/kinda sandbox, I can do whatever I want to, but that does not mean there are no guidelines to have better efficiency and suffer less dire consequences for my actions.

Posted (edited)

Mike

Lean to AFK fish and raise you fishing level If you want you can create a second character to do that.

A Hawk pet will help because your fishing level will go up faster (I have two which I am hoping stack) you pet also gathers loot for you so use them and get them to level 10.

You can make a lot of silver fishing without doing anything, I do it while I play The Secret World with my friends.

Eat food yourself, it raises you health, the first thing I do when I log in is eat, different food gives different perks, eat a lot.

Do the Black Spirit Quests, and get the inventory spaces and black stones.

Unless your want to get into player vs player quickly you don't have to spend a lot of time mowing down mobs of bad guys, some people commit suicide over and over to not level.

Kill the number the quest requires, or a few more and move on to the next quest.

I did the opposite spending hours mowing down hundreds of bad guys and all it got me was to level 45 with bad equipment.

You want to have good equipment by the time you get to level 45, and can be attacked by level 55 players, though since the latest patch about the only penalty for getting killed is the inconvenience of walking back to where you were, on a different channel so you don't run into the same guy again.

Personally I've never been killed by another player when I was just out doing quests, they prefer to kill my character when it's AFK.

I started a new character to fish because I got killed every time I went AFK after passing level 45.

Mostly just do what's fun to do, I like doing the quests, I play solo, I've not had any problem beating the bosses alone.

Now as I reach level 50 I'm finding it a little tougher because I didn't upgrade my equipment as I went along, I'd do that if I started over, but I'm now catching up on that.

Anyway have fun!

Mike

PS, To explain the fishing thing, my character that I made just to fish, starting out as a novice 3 weeks ago, has created a balance of 41,000,000+ silver in storage, bought 46 armor black stones and 16 weapon black stones, and paid for all my expenses, from restoring damaged weapons, horse upkeep, repairs, pet food, food and fishing rods in that period.

This was done just fishing from the shore at the hot spot west of Olvia and selling the fish in Velia.

Basically funding everything my main character does.  

Edited by Mike Hawthorne
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

A Hawk pet will help because your fishing level will go up faster (I have two which I am hoping stack) you pet also gathers loot for you so use them and get them to level 10.

It's not a Hawk ^^' any pet can get any skill at lvl 10 and it seems like u just got the same one on both your birds ^_^

Edit: Ops.. just found this.. 

• Common: Combat XP Increase, Karma Recovery Increase
  • Domestic (Dog, Cat, etc.): Cooking/Alchemy/Processing/Farming XP +
  • Aves (Hawk, etc.): Fishing +1, Fishing/Hunting/Training/Trade XP +
  • Monster (Snowman, etc.): Gathering +1, Gathering XP +
Edited by Bearbarian

Posted

Mike's overview is very good. Let me add a few more specifics.

To be "good", and a benefit to a guild, you need to be playing a character you like. Despite the squawking and mawking, all classes are pretty close to equal in the hands of a skilled player. So, create a few alts and try all the classes. There are two side benefits to this. One, all your characters share their energy, contribution points. Secondly, when you decide on a "main", you can use the silver the alts have amassed to buy the main some really cool gear.

My other standard advice is, don't spend all your skill points. Read, ask, and spend them wisely. Some skills aren't worth having, and some good skills require a lot of points when you finally reach their level, so it's good to save points for then.

Generally though, the mechanics of this game don't make for one "right path". If you read the class forums you'll find people favor different builds according to their own references, and there's seldom a "meta build" that must be followed slavishly for you to be competitive. That's why I said at first, you should be playing a character you like. That's the one you'll work hardest with and be more skilled with.

Posted (edited)

Hello guys.Ive bought the game since beta,but because my computer could not handle the game I didnt play at all.Now I ve updated my computer and I can max out everything.So far i love the game, but I feel overwhelmed of all the mechanics(which to tell the truth arent explained in detail in game).I know they are tons of information online but they are topic based, and I need something a bit more general.Like ok I am doing every quest i find but then what?What is a golden line of gameplay actions I have to take.Like do quests/dont do quests, then lvl up,then get better gear then master a profession.I want some general tips about what should be my main point in the game.I like what I am doing so far, but I dont get a sense of progression, its like going around in circles of quests and grind without having a point in what I do.Also another question(maybe a bit silly).My pc has i7 quand core 3,50ghz,16 gb ram, gtx 980 4gb.As I ve said I ve maxed everything ,and even though I have very good frame rate(51-55 all maxed out), the graphics quallity seems inferior than the one I ve seen on youtube videos.Am I doing something wrong, because I thought my specs would be great to play.

There are no golden lines in this game. Period.

To level up your level, you kill mobs.

To level up skills, you use your skills to kill mobs.

To level up crafting, you do crafting and crafting quests.

To craft items, you use workers more than or almost as much as you craft yourself, just different stuff.

To level up your energy, you kill mobs and do quests.

To level up your contribution points, you do all quests.

Beyond that.. google.

Edited by Darlgon

Posted

To elaborate a little more on what Darlgon said above, this game has a very steep learning curve. It's going to take you some time to learn how everything works, but that's typically how it works in real life. You have to learn how to do something before you can do something efficiently and make money doing it. The same is true in BDO. 

You don't get experience the same way as you would in other MMOs on this game. What you get typically from questing is what is called "contribution points". This is the bottom yellow bar in the upper left corner of your screen. The most common use of these is for trading, if you want to know how that works you can find dozens of videos that explain it online. For a more in-depth explanation on these, go here: link

If you want actual experience, as Darlgon said, the best way to do that is to grind mobs. You do get a little experience from doing things like fishing and horse training, but the experience is so minuscule you may not even notice it. Certain guilds will power level you, if you want. But it's recommended you get to at least level 20 or 30 first on your own so you get a pretty good idea of how your class works and how to play it. From there, you can probably see videos like the class guides done by Hakurai on Youtube. Of course, the best guides and the best gear for you is going to depend on your playstyle, the class you're going with and whether or not you're going PvE-focused or PvP-focused. Considering this is a game that encompasses both PvE and PvP rather strongly, don't expect to do ONLY PvE without any PvP or vice versa.

As for what order you should do these things in, it is really up to you. If you play the game like it's just a single-player game, you can level at your own leisure and enjoy the rest of the content as you like. I mean, if you'd like, take a look at what this guy has to say about the massive amount of content. Maybe what he has to say will put your mind at ease.

Posted

I can give you a few ideas from my own personal view of the game. Obviously, opinions are like butts, everybody has one. So here is mine :)

- I do most quests I come across because they provide me with a very important resource (among others): CONTRIBUTION POINTS (CP)

-> You need CPs to unlock areas for your workers to gather resources, for you to rent houses, to establish trade routes ... a really important thing to have.

- I fight mostly solo. This is for mostly two reasons:

-> I don't go and grind for the sake of gaining levels but rather do quests that involve killing X of whatever. In some cases, when you are fighting monsters that are reasonably sparse, like Cyclops and Ogres, you might find yourself teaming up with another person or four just so you don't compete for the monsters but rather can all achieve what you set out for.

-> As far as I noticed, it is much faster to accumulate SKILL POINTS (SP) when fighting solo. I might be wrong but I believe it is the killing blow that counts most for SP accumulation. So fighting solo will net you more SPs and accordingly you can level up more spells faster. This is no proven concept but rather my observation of solo vs. group fights.

- I do life skills because it makes me independent and I enjoy it for being less stressful than fighting.

-> Raising levels of gathering, processing, alchemy etc. is really useful, especially when you come to upgrade your gear. I am rather Scottish in my approach and only spend money if the purchase is feasible and hence buy some gear but upgrade other stuff myself. This involves the need to produce multiples of the same item to fix the original item up. If you don't want to expensively purchase some of the rarer resources, e.g., pure crystals, you will need to make them yourself and that requires higher levels of certain skills.

-> Training skill can be raised by catching and riding horses. Catching wild horses takes a bit of skill but is quite fun. I found that levelling Tier 1 horses to lvl 30 and then breeding them (and subsequently exchanging both) will always(?) return you a Tier 4 male from breeding and Tier 4 female from exchanging. I tested this four times and each time same result, which cuts out Tier 2 and Tier 3 horses. Craft yourself a saddle! They increase Stamina significantly, which helps saving carrots.

-> Farming is useful, especially for the above-mentioned carrots. Later on, it is also very useful to obtain rare fruits, which can often only be obtained through plant breeding (or quests).

-> Trading skill can be raised by selling trade crates to a merchant. The farther you go from the origin, the higher the distance bonus. Danger here is that you are being robbed while on the way. You can either buy such crates from a merchant or you can produce them yourself (your workers can do that).

-> There are daily life skill quests in Olvia, which are great to increase your CP balance and stock up on resources. I love them.

- Passive stats are useful and important (Stamina, Strength, Health).

-> Stamina is probably the easiest of those to raise because all you have to do is run around. Note that you cannot raise Stamina by riding a horse. So just explore a lot on foot to start with.

-> Strength training requires you to carry a trading crate to level it. This is best done AFK (away from keyboard) by auto-routing. I occasionally tend to set my character to run up and down the street in Heidel with a crate on the back. This works fine.

-> Health is a bit more of a nuisance but very important in all your fighting, as you will naturally increase your survival chances. You have to eat food for that. If you don't want to buy expensive food, you will have to craft it and collect it through quests. There are a good number of quests that give you cooked food. Eating that will increase your help. Other than that, you will have to cook your own food. While not the fastest levelling food, I consider Soft Bread a good recipe, as it is cheap and cheery.

--

This is enough text for now, I think. Hence I won't go to town with workers and stuff. Hope this helps a little.

Posted

To be very basic about it, do this:

A. Follow your black spirit questline.  It will progress you through the map as you level.

B. As soon as you can afford it, get a YURIA weapon of whatever kind your class uses.  That will be your default endgame weapon at level 50 until you can get something better, and you can start using it immediately.  Consult online guides for what kind of armor your class should wear, and what kind of offhand weapon, and get pieces of those.  As you get Black Stones for weapons and armor, insert them into weapons and armor, to increase their stats.  They will boost without fail through +7 on weapons and +5 on armor.  Beyond that level successful buffing becomes more difficult and will require expensive dura repair.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0