• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

Pirate Fanart Contest Thread - is back and up for voting

459 posts in this topic

Posted

Layering with glazing and scrumbling is a great way to build depth and texture and yes, fluffy fur lol. The mountains were all freehand with a brush. I started doing landscapes with my father at an early age, maybe around 10 years old or so. My dad is really old school lol. This is the kinds of paintings he does.

12250066_1662087270715869_40410357148654

12494678_1677514045839858_55099646042225

The whole pet portrait thing was an accident. There is always one or two people that ask, can you paint my pets or my kids etc and it just snowballed lol. I don't really like painting people so I said a hard no to that one but I couldn't tell people I couldn't paint animals when they already seen I could lol. So I just got stuck doing it and continue to do it. 

Posted (edited)

Great work. I wish i was better at landscapes, I really like yours. It's like I'm more into characters than environment, but i plan to practice that also more; maybe get out more often and do more nature sketches xD

Regarding digital, even better, with your years of exp. the only thing for you in digital is learning around the program and utilities. And is also never too late to play around with different styles. As artists we always learn and evolve, there're no limits ^_^

Here are some examples I am working on, different styles, and i pretty much enjoy  working on them (ofc, there are more out there which i want to experience, like more realistic portraits)

vnduz4.png

more cartoonish

m93y4h.png

a BNS fanart 

330bwns.png

my BDO contest entry 

2nbytk8.png

Edited by Lilitrix
1 person likes this

Posted

I have photoshop 10 and I use it regularly for merging reference photos to plan out my paintings before I put it on canvas. The only thing I am lacking is the actual drawing tablet haha. I am planning to get one soon and try it. I have used PS for making some forum siggys for friends too so not a complete stranger to PS lol. I just haven't tried doing traditional techniques using photoshop.

final-edit-scorpionsold_zps673cfa3d.thum

legends-never-die_zpsb13e7327.thumb.gif.

Rima525_zps6c5c5c80.thumb.gif.a962a7e8adI didn't draw this anime, it was a render a friend wanted made into a siggy

sorc1_zpsdkeqoyqf.thumb.jpg.cd6de985544f

Most of these were done with screenshots from games.

Posted (edited)

Layering with glazing and scrumbling is a great way to build depth and texture and yes, fluffy fur lol. The mountains were all freehand with a brush. I started doing landscapes with my father at an early age, maybe around 10 years old or so. My dad is really old school lol. This is the kinds of paintings he does.

Hidden Content

The whole pet portrait thing was an accident. There is always one or two people that ask, can you paint my pets or my kids etc and it just snowballed lol. I don't really like painting people so I said a hard no to that one but I couldn't tell people I couldn't paint animals when they already seen I could lol. So I just got stuck doing it and continue to do it. 

Oh wow! That is some spectacular paintings! Your Father is so talented.

I have photoshop 10 and I use it regularly for merging reference photos to plan out my paintings before I put it on canvas. The only thing I am lacking is the actual drawing tablet haha. I am planning to get one soon and try it. I have used PS for making some forum siggys for friends too so not a complete stranger to PS lol. I just haven't tried doing traditional techniques using photoshop.

Hidden Content

Most of these were done with screenshots from games.

I love splicing images for references. when i make a picture I usually have an entire folder of references and inspirational pieces. I also use selfies a lot, especially of my hands. Or I will get my friend to do poses for me, that's always fun. 

Great work. I wish i was better at landscapes, I really like yours. It's like I'm more into characters than environment, but i plan to practice that also more; maybe get out more often and do more nature sketches xD

Regarding digital, even better, with your years of exp. the only thing for you in digital is learning around the program and utilities. And is also never too late to play around with different styles. As artists we always learn and evolve, there're no limits ^_^

Hidden Content

Same! I mostly just draw people/characters. I also like drawing cartoons, things like Pikachu or Pusheen are a favorite. I too want to learn more about landscape, especially how to do shadows and lighting in a large environment. 

You are really good, I envy those full body poses, something I really need to practice on!

Here is an example of what i really love drawing. It is the kind of stuff you would have printed on a T shirt or Coffee mug. :D My original kitty character highly based on Pusheen and her best friend the Toad.

KittyLoafnToadBGtest4.thumb.png.55b279c3

kittyloafflipstable2.thumb.png.c01b60582

kittyloafzchu6.thumb.png.b78c8a704f401dc

Edited by Z.chu
1 person likes this

Posted

@Z.chu Thank you!

Love the cat xD If i was to see something printed with it,  i would totally like it.

One of the mot important things in understanding things like lights,shadows (even anatomy etc ) is a lot of observing. One of my highschool teacher used to say "Observe 5 times then draw it once correctly" Being more sensitive and observant on the things around us is an artist quality, we have a kin eye and seeing more to an image,object etc more than others. (which sadly i ignored to do lately regarding landscapes, since i got so focused on character design and i want to do as much as possible out of my mind with no references). 

Posted

haha soooo cute kitty @Z.chu:D:x

If ever you need some reference photos or inspiration this is a really good site. https://pmp-art.com/ It is a community of photographers and artists who come together to share references photos without fear of copyright infringement. There isn't anything really anime but I'm sure you could take some of the gorgeous portraits there and transform it into an anime style :) Alex lee Johnson is one of my favourite portrait photographers there. 

kari.thumb.jpg.39518283fc23aa5d56f7ea197

hard to believe such beautiful photos are completely free to use. Luckily many artists are also awesome photographers and know the struggles of finding good photos for reference that are completely free. So they are kind enough to share these photos out of the goodness of their hearts.  They only just ask that you give them credit when you sell or display your work somewhere else and just post to the site your creations. It's an awesome little community and the people are super nice.

@Lilitrix Yes, totally agree with such a thing as an artists eye. A great example is snow. Many non artists see snow as just white but artists see snow as blue, pink, grey even yellow depending on how light, shadows and reflections react to the snow. Or something like a black cat, many non artists just see a cat as being all black but that is not the case at all. Depending on the light reflecting off the fur it could have all kinds of brown tones or grey tones or even blue tones. I once had a customer who wanted me to paint her black cat and in the reference photo there was a lot of grey highlights in the cats fur. The lady argued with me and said there is no grey in her cat, it is ALL black. So I went back and reworked the painting and painted it all black like she requested and the cat looked like a big black blob on the canvas, with no depth or texture to the fur. Finally she realized what I was trying to tell her but being a stubborn old lady she only wanted me to do very minimal highlights lol. but this is how it turned out but in my eyes it still needs more highlights for definition lol.

12049616_428598337332098_789229245429176

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

@Lilitrix Yes, totally agree with such a thing as an artists eye. A great example is snow. Many non artists see snow as just white but artists see snow as blue, pink, grey even yellow depending on how light, shadows and reflections react to the snow. Or something like a black cat, many non artists just see a cat as being all black but that is not the case at all. Depending on the light reflecting off the fur it could have all kinds of brown tones or grey tones or even blue tones. I once had a customer who wanted me to paint her black cat and in the reference photo there was a lot of grey highlights in the cats fur. The lady argued with me and said there is no grey in her cat, it is ALL black. So I went back and reworked the painting and painted it all black like she requested and the cat looked like a big black blob on the canvas, with no depth or texture to the fur. Finally she realized what I was trying to tell her but being a stubborn old lady she only wanted me to do very minimal highlights lol. but this is how it turned out but in my eyes it still needs more highlights for definition lol.

xDxDxDxD

Yeah, you'd think they listen to a professional, that's why you want their services anyway...some people....xD

Also, thanks for the link. I have huge amount of photo refs of human nudes poses for anatomy studies and practice, also portraits, but there can never be enough for anything else -_-

P.S. 1 Important advice, as an example of the photo portrait @ChaoticPisces posted. Avoid as much as  possible to do portrait studies that have make up on, it can lead you in many errors. After you learn more about face anatomy, then you'll be able to see trough things that tricks your eye while studying after a photo.

Edited by Lilitrix

Posted

@Z.chu Thank you!

Love the cat xD If i was to see something printed with it,  i would totally like it.

One of the mot important things in understanding things like lights,shadows (even anatomy etc ) is a lot of observing. One of my highschool teacher used to say "Observe 5 times then draw it once correctly" Being more sensitive and observant on the things around us is an artist quality, we have a kin eye and seeing more to an image,object etc more than others. (which sadly i ignored to do lately regarding landscapes, since i got so focused on character design and i want to do as much as possible out of my mind with no references). 

Thanks! 

That's really good advice. I find myself staring at people sometimes, if I like something they are wearing or they have nice features. I am pretty sure people think I am a total creep lol.

haha soooo cute kitty @Z.chu:D:x

If ever you need some reference photos or inspiration this is a really good site. https://pmp-art.com/ It is a community of photographers and artists who come together to share references photos without fear of copyright infringement. There isn't anything really anime but I'm sure you could take some of the gorgeous portraits there and transform it into an anime style :) Alex lee Johnson is one of my favourite portrait photographers there. 

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thank you for the link! I love sites like this. Will definitely check it out.

This is soooo true! I remember my friend (who is an amazing artist) telling me the key to making metal look like metal is using colors around it. If you just make it silver it won't look metallic or reflective. I see now that applies to many things in varying degrees. Especially SKIN! Making realistic skin is all about all those different colors. 

I really like this tutorial, it has helped me a lot with skin (Even cartoon kitty skin lol)

http://navate.deviantart.com/art/SKIN-a-tutorial-Part-1-144294636

Posted

Glazing is a technique that can be used in everything even skin. That is how I do my fur on animals too. I take white or a light colour and paint in all the fur direction and then glaze over in one colour. Then do another layer of fur details and then another layer of glaze and each layer of glaze shows through creating depth. The same can be done with skin, look at each layer of glazing as a layer of skin. Another really cool technique is to do grisaille or monotone painting then just glaze colour over it. It is so fun to do :D