• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

Pirate Fanart Contest Thread - is back and up for voting

459 posts in this topic

Posted

@CM_Praballo 

Could @Keehjma's link please be included in the original post so nobody misses it? 

While quite a few are awesome enough to make an effort to go through all the 55 pages, this is a much better format of viewing all 1000+ entrees and going to the direct page.

All entries, randomized, on a single page : http://votepiratebdo.herokuapp.com/

(may take about 1min to display)

--

Here i made a site where you can see ALL the entries on the same page : http://votepiratebdo.herokuapp.com/

You can't vote directly from the website, and it's not totally perfect, but I made this quickly for you all <3

PS: It may takes time to gather all entries in one page. Be patient, entries are com- displaying...

Thank you, Keehjma! <3  And good luck to everyone! :D

1 person likes this

Posted

What do you guys think about just opening a thread in the Art & Media section of the forum where people could post their entry to this contest with the info on which page in the voting thread their entry can be found.

I don't think people who just entered the contest for the participation reward would go through the hassle to post there, but the ones who would like their artwork to be seen would have a place to gather with the like minded and look through a hopegully less clustered thread.

The opening post could have a link to the actual voting thread to easily guide people there.

I agree with a lot of you who say this contest is poorly handeled but we now have to make most out of it and hope for the best.

Posted

So. Many. Entries.. I feel like it would be better for a group of people, judges, to pick out top 20 or something and then let people vote. 

But good luck to all! :) 

Posted (edited)

I didn't think they'd be doin it this way, it'll take a while for someone to scroll to the later entries like where mine is.

I haven't voted yet as i'd like to view as much of them before making a decision, so something like the voting preview is quite useful.

Edited by WyvernSmasher

Posted

What do you guys think about just opening a thread in the Art & Media section of the forum where people could post their entry to this contest with the info on which page in the voting thread their entry can be found.

I don't think people who just entered the contest for the participation reward would go through the hassle to post there, but the ones who would like their artwork to be seen would have a place to gather with the like minded and look through a hopegully less clustered thread.

The opening post could have a link to the actual voting thread to easily guide people there.

I agree with a lot of you who say this contest is poorly handeled but we now have to make most out of it and hope for the best.

I like this idea. If more people support it, I hope everyone keeps it to a single post as the above quoted post seems to suggest. This way the thread can work as a clean registry. ^_^

Posted

I'm voting for all the hand drawn submissions as well, I think anything that is hand drawn deserves to get into the top 20% over all the MS paint stick figures (no offense). So guys please remember to vote for all the submissions that took a bit of effort to help them get into the top 20%. If everyone is voting for only the top ten submissions not all the other actual drawings will get in the top 20%, they will be lumped in with the stick figures, just remember that guys ;) And I have seen some stick figures already with more votes than a few of the drawings:(

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I'm voting for all the hand drawn submissions as well, I think anything that is hand drawn deserves to get into the top 20% over all the MS paint stick figures (no offense). So guys please remember to vote for all the submissions that took a bit of effort to help them get into the top 20%. If everyone is voting for only the top ten submissions not all the other actual drawings will get in the top 20%, they will be lumped in with the stick figures, just remember that guys ;) And I have seen some stick figures already with more votes than a few of the drawings:(

I dont think, that handdrawings should be valued above everything else. and you cannot know, how much effort an artist put into his paint stick figure either.

What this contest lacks of, is to categorize the art into handdrawn, computerbased, crafting... etc...

Edited by Sanivia

Posted (edited)

Digital drawing takes effort also. Just because you do not draw on an actual paper but on tablet, does not mean it has less effort or it's  not hand drawn (stick figures does not even enter the discussion)

Edited by Lilitrix

Posted (edited)

Yeah that is true, I ran out of likes on page 14 already as one can help people one thinks deserve getting into the 20% already by just doing that.

@Smitten, yes I would hope people keep it as a one post with their pic thread to not make that one clustered as well.

Digital drawing takes effort also. Just because you do not draw on an actual paper but on tablet, does not mean it has less effort or it's  not hand drawn (stick figures does not even enter the discussion)

Even digital is hand drawn if one doesn't  draw with ones feet. ;)

But as somebody who draws with all kinds of media, traditional and digital, I understand what you mean.

I just vote for all the ones I think deserve to be in the top 20%, will mostlikely go through the thread a few times as I already skipped some to vote for another that I liked more at that moment, those 10 Likes per day are very limiting.

Edited by GreenSkadi

Posted (edited)

Oh and btw - i hope that the jury will judge fair on every picture. Not because of the colorful-welldrawn dolls in a pirate-fashion-outfit, but

because of the content in a picture.

I'd love to see some stickman arts in the top 20%, because most of them telling a better pirate story than the the most pro drawings do.

Edited by Sanivia

Posted

Photoshopping can take more or equal time than hand drawing. I know. I do logos for websites, shirts, book covers, album covers as a side job and I RARELY ever draw anything out other than a rough sketch of ideas.  As for those saying screenshots aren't "art".  They didn't say NOT to post screesnshots, and most of the screenshots I see are edited or enhanced. (As I did with my screenshot submission)  First of all I spent about an hour looking for a great pirate based background for the screenshot and then found that huge pirate ship near Kuit Islands, off the coast.  I wanted to look like a pirate so I used the "Matchlok rifle" instead of holding my usual staff.  I applied about 3-4 filters after messing around with dozens of filters and edited out some things in the original screenshot.   (The only thing I hate is that I didn't spend more time making the picture less dark, but I didn't notice that until after I submitted the image due to my work pc being different than my home pc so the color profile is slightly different. 

TONS of good artwork in here and even the stick figures are cool and some here are 100x better than others but other "simpler" ones are better due to the context, etc.

That is the great part of artwork.

btw Mine's on page 1. And the focus was not to LOOK the best but have the best "Pirate Based Theme" which was the contest.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Just some things I will be looking for when voting:

1) I wont vote for people that come here begging for votes and whining. You dont deserve to win IMO if you have that attitude. Just let the votes fall where they will. I will take likes back if I already voted for you and you come here whining or begging. Sounds harsh, but just my thoughts on the matter. :|

2) I prolly wont vote for anyone that has only 1 or 2 comments and they are all in the contest thread. I apologize if you are a genuine new player or a legit player but to be safe I will prolly not be voting for those just to try to be fair to the active players who legit entered once. We'll see but I dont want to take any chances there TBH. While you can still accidentally vote for a cheaters original account, I want to try to keep the chances as low as possible for myself and as fair as possible for everyone else. Def not everyone is cheating but there were some pics in there that had the same style and color choices etc and were kind of obvious. Some less so.

That said, there are some GREAT submissions with only 1 post so even if I dont vote for you, doesnt mean I dont like your art. So please keep at it and keep sharing art with us (in the art and media forum)!

3) As a RL artist I know just what effort it takes to do many different mediums. I also understand different skill and knowledge levels. I wont be limiting my votes to just one medium and trying to give them an edge over everyone else. That isnt fair, plain and simple. I will spread my votes around equally to many different mediums I enjoy to include digital painting, reg lineart, reg drawing/coloring, actual real painting, and so on. There are a lot of great submissions that not only seem to have taken some effort but some thought. Some so called "lesser drawings" are indeed a lot more detailed/on subject than some of the high quality selfie shots and deserve to win more IMO.

4) My first likes will prolly go in this order then trickle down the line: Just plain wows/blows my mind; most originality/creativity/sticking to the WHOLE theme; great composition/use of subject and color; pure talent (I did see some uncolored lineart in there that is AMAZING); and then slightly more boring/standard pics that are still done by really talented artists.

5) Tho keeping #4 in mind I will try to spread my votes evenly within the thread. Not starting just at page 1 every time. I will skip around and I will look at every single entry not once, not twice, but many times and will consider which ones appeal to me most.

All that said, GL to everyone that participated and I wish a lot of you could create art threads in the Art and Media forum. So many of you are very talented and I know I'd love to see more (Im sure others would too) of your work.

TL;DR: I will try to be as fair as I possibly can with my voting in this "system". I ask that others do so as well when you create your own voting methods/rules.

EDIT: Forgot to mention this again (mentioned it yesterday). There are a lot of people with multiple posts/entries in the thread and I am already seeing votes get spread around between them. I vote for the first I come across and have seen others vote for the same person but in a later post.

You are screwing yourselves IMO because I doubt the CMs will add the votes together. Hopefully they will since there will be less entries and it will be more obvious but just in case....make sure you are watching ALL of your entries and tallying your votes to give to the CMs if you are receiving them on multiple posts. 

If you do have extra entries (be it WIPs etc)  that havent received likes yet then remove the extras (edit the post to be blank) and make it so you have one completed entry for people to vote on. I'd hate to see a great artist miss out because their votes got spread around 5 different posts.

Edited by Cyr'Ren
1 person likes this

Posted

white i am also seeing is simply having your piece in the first page gets you more views than having it in the middle of all the pages......kinda messed up, topped off with who has the most friends, im hoping before deciding on the top 20% that the mods actually look at the rest

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Just some things I will be looking for when voting:

1) I wont vote for people that come here begging for votes and whining. You dont deserve to win IMO if you have that attitude. Just let the votes fall where they will. I will take likes back if I already voted for you and you come here whining or begging. Sounds harsh, but just my thoughts on the matter. :|

2) I prolly wont vote for anyone that has only 1 or 2 comments and they are all in the contest thread.

Damn, you must be very bored, to check everybodys comment-section? O.o

Unlike you, i understand people's  whining about beeing in the middle/next-to-last pages.

Sooo...i highly recommend everybody to use this page http://votepiratebdo.herokuapp.com/, (thx again to the person who hosted this) to go through all the pictures.

Edited by Sanivia

Posted

Guys this could have been worse, the mods could have picked the winners randomly... you never know.

Posted

Damn, you must be very bored, to check everybodys comment-section? O.o

Unlike you, i understand people's  whining about beeing in the middle/next-to-last pages.

Sooo...i highly recommend everybody to use this page http://votepiratebdo.herokuapp.com/, (thx again to the person who hosted this) to go through all the pictures.

Bored? Try dedicated to art and a morally good person lol.

I know this contest wasnt set up fairly. I know people are upset. Unlike lazy folks, I am actually trying to do something about it. 9_9 If that means giving up a little extra of my time to try to be fair to everyone then so be it. I dont mind. Also, I'm a big girl and perfectly capable of clicking next and looking through several pages of content on my own.

Posted

Photoshopping can take more or equal time than hand drawing. I know. I do logos for websites, shirts, book covers, album covers as a side job and I RARELY ever draw anything out other than a rough sketch of ideas.  As for those saying screenshots aren't "art".  They didn't say NOT to post screesnshots, and most of the screenshots I see are edited or enhanced. 

Nobody said it's not art. I personaly made a rant for those screenshots that are just screenshots without any idea behind it or the ones that just have silly pasted pirate hat. OK they are funny and all, not trying to be disrespectful here, but you can't compare that with hours of work on a drawing (not saying mine is the best, nor I worked more than the rest). I work as designer myself and I know what some quality photo bashing and editing means. Yes it could be the case that these simple screenshot edits are due to the fact that the said person doesn't have the knowledge to make it more fancy. I said few times, please correct me if I'm wrong I though this is for original artwork made by you, not screenshot edits and I will quote the rules down here:  

For this contest you are tasked with creating a pirate themed piece of fanart and submitting it in this thread. You are free to create the artwork as you like, whether with Pen & Paper or digital format, so long as you personally create it.

I may be reading it wrong, since after all not stated rules, are no rules therefore screenshots are absolutely allowed. 

I apologise if I offended anyone, but this is my opinion and as I said, I mean no disrespect towards anyone and their work. I just have never seen a messy contest like this one before ^^ and I can't make sense of the rules.

1 person likes this

Posted

Just wondering how I can edit my post (cannot do it atm, probably cause the thread is closed or something), since I put spaces between names when writing my details, not that it would matter that much since I doubt I'll get anywhere near the top, but just to clarify and be on safe side?

Thanks

Posted

Digital art is included with hand drawn just to clarify what I meant. I meant voting for whatever you think took more effort than 5 minutes. Anything that you think deserves to be in the top 20%. Sorry for the confusion. Sometimes I don't explain very well :/. Even some of the pictures made in MS Paint that maybe not very skilled but you can tell they tried very hard, I also think deserve to be in the top 20%. Basically we are trying to differentiate the actual entries from people who just want a free costume. I am just seeing a lot of piggybacking votes going to a selected few pieces. Just remember this isn't the final voting stage and it's important that all the deserving art gets to the next stage. I wish they allowed for more daily likes than 10, it makes it much more difficult to get through all the pages. If I had unlimited likes I would take the time to go through every page in one sitting, but much harder to take time out of my schedule and to remember to come back everyday to vote. Also remember where I left off etc. Hope the CM's consider this for next time. 

Also, when does the likes reset? I used up 10 yesterday and still waiting to get more O.o

Posted

Ah ok. Just a misunderstanding then ^_^

Posted

I really like this idea! It'd be really nice to have one clean post to give good exposure to all the artists that got stuck on the middle/end pages. 

1 person likes this

Posted

I think this is a cute idea but it'd probably just end up a mess like the un-edited thread, but instead of stick figures it's just a bunch of comments or criticism(or heaven forbid the trolls come back). People might also think of it as sort of a thread that is just "begging for votes".

The contest is messy but it isn't that bad, there's a ton of time to go through each page and vote for your favorites. ^^ 

You can make a forum thread though just for your art though (not sure, I don't use forums much because of time) and hint hint with a link to your artwork in the contest page. ;D

Posted (edited)

You can see how harshly voting falls off after the first couple pages. Hopefully the good entries stuck in the middle get the attention they deserve.  :\

Also, this seems like a voting system that can be easily rigged by mule accounts.

I hope that the final judging takes all these issues into considering, because if not then this is unfair.

Edited by Kyndragon
2 people like this

Posted

Looking at 55 pages can be exhausting, honestly after the 17th page I just got tired, most of the good art was on the middle, last pages.

I'd wish they would lay out the submissions differently like with small icons all compiled in a single page, first and last time I ever get into a contest of this kind.

1 person likes this

Posted

thats what I did yesterday! I went through all the pages and voted for the great entries which were lacking votes because they were missed. 

Glad to hear other people have the same idea

Your font is incredibly difficult to read.  :(..especially for those with dyslexia.