• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

Share your thoughts on the ranger awakening.

77 posts in this topic

Posted

When I first discovered this game I was like "Im gonna play ranger!". Witch is pretty rare for me since I usually take quite some time to decide what class to play and in the end have to start multiple classes till I can decide (if I even can).

However after seeing the awakening weapon for ranger I must say I am pretty disappointed (and can't decide witch class to play again).

First off I know the class is called ranger not Archer... blablabla whatever it was however the only truely ranged only class. Now with the awakening it seems kinda like a remix of the blader class, rather then something awesome (like a 2 handed for warriors). 

Purely gameplay wise it obviously seems pretty solid at first glance for the class since it improves what it is weakest at, on the other hand if it is even remotly balanced it will probably still be weaker then dedicated melee classes melee so theres that. Ontop of that the skills really look ... meh (at least in my opinion) and dont seem to really fit the theme (color wise etc) of the other ranger abilities.

Dunno maybe I am missing something so I wanted to ask, what are your thoughts on the awakening weapon of the ranger? And if anyone has played it whats your thoughts on the gameplay?

1 person likes this

Posted

ranger is more like a  guardian of the forest. a jack of all trades, generally swift, and easy escapes. likes traps too in a lotta mmos

so yeah its gonna play like a medieval rogue/assassin

1 person likes this

Posted

I like it. Not I haven't personally tested it, so I can only speculate. However, I don't expect the ranger will want to stand toe to toe with one of the primary fighter classes for very long, but instead look to utilize the additional mobility and knockback abilities from the awakening weapon to disengage.

What's wrong with a "remix" of the blader class anyway? Maybe some people don't think 2 handed warriors are that awesome and would prefer a more nimble fighter with wind magic. Plus it kind of reminds me of Riven :x

Besides, what else would you suggest they do to shore up her weakness at close range? A crossbow? To go with another LoL reference, sure she could do something like Vayne's condemn ability and fire a bolt that knocks enemies backward. I personally would prefer a weapon that's a bit different than their main one and actually adds some depth to the character and makes them more interesting to play in the long run.

All that said, I'm still not sure how often you would actually want to use the sword over the bow. Obviously you don't want to be dashing into a huge battle when you could sit back  from a safe distance instead. For smaller skirmishes though, I guess it's just a numbers game at that point. If the sword skills aren't good enough to incentivize people to fight in melee range, they can just adjust them. (or nerf other things *cough*...)

Posted

I like it. Not I haven't personally tested it, so I can only speculate. However, I don't expect the ranger will want to stand toe to toe with one of the primary fighter classes for very long, but instead look to utilize the additional mobility and knockback abilities from the awakening weapon to disengage.

What's wrong with a "remix" of the blader class anyway? Maybe some people don't think 2 handed warriors are that awesome and would prefer a more nimble fighter with wind magic. Plus it kind of reminds me of Riven :x

Besides, what else would you suggest they do to shore up her weakness at close range? A crossbow? To go with another LoL reference, sure she could do something like Vayne's condemn ability and fire a bolt that knocks enemies backward. I personally would prefer a weapon that's a bit different than their main one and actually adds some depth to the character and makes them more interesting to play in the long run.

All that said, I'm still not sure how often you would actually want to use the sword over the bow. Obviously you don't want to be dashing into a huge battle when you could sit back  from a safe distance instead. For smaller skirmishes though, I guess it's just a numbers game at that point. If the sword skills aren't good enough to incentivize people to fight in melee range, they can just adjust them. (or nerf other things *cough*...)

The wrong of having a remixed blader class would be that you have 2 classes that do the exact same thing. Which isnt just kinda lame but also usually leads to one of them just being flat out better then the other.

With a remix I also was talking about the fact that some of the skills actually look almost as if they are copy pasted from the blader / plum and just have the color changed to blue (pretty lame)

Ofc some people prefer a nimble fighter (such as I), but the blader/plum is already that class. 

You say a crossbow would be a lol refrence and say its bad but mention just before how it reminds you of Riven...

Honestly though I don't think a crossbow would fit her very well. But the abilities dont fit the forest keeper / ranger really either. Ontop of that you start out as a pretty much ranged only class till level 56 ( I think its 56) THEN you get the melee. So you are definitly not a nimble fighter.

Sidenote about teh knockdowns and CC of the melee. If they follow the tradition of the ranger, most of them won't be CC in PvP. So really you are getting some damage maybe (dont know how much damage they do) and some evasions (pretty decent). 

From a PvE perspective they will ahve to either be really powerful (damage or damage per cost) or have insanely good CC to be really worth using when it is the only reason you have for closing the distance to a boss. (equal damage wont really do as you would be putting yourself in harms way for no reason since ranged damage would be equal) This however leads to the point where you are at an awkward spot where the ranged class ((before you start quoting the definition of ranger, I know it, read on) quote from the BDO website: Ranger is a range type character who can harass the opponent by making a distance between the foe. Ranger mainly uses ranged skills with her bow and arrows, but also can escape from the danger by using powerful kicks when enemies get nearby.)  ends up being better at melee then range at witch point the range part becomes either just annoying / AoE / or a gimick.

Speaking from a balance point of view, if you give every class an awakening that compensates their weakness you will end up with a lot of classes that all feel the same or end up with really hard or close to impossible to balance  classes. 

Posted

You know what? Forget I ever mentioned League of Legends. My arguments for or against this weapon never ever had anything whatsoever to do with that game, which I haven't played in years. You make me regret ever bringing it up.

My argument is that another bow would have been boring, so a melee weapon as her secondary weapon makes sense. I then agree with you that she shouldn't be as strong in close quarters as the main fighter classes in the game, which is why she should probably be looking to use skills to get in & unload a few abilities, then disengage. I hope this game doesn't blur the lines between the classes to the point where they all feel the same, but it seems the whole purpose of the awakening weapons is to offer a different play style for each of the classes.

Tbh I'm not even concerned about what their given definition of the ranger is anyway. It's a summary to give people an idea of what the class does, but it's subject to change just like everything else.

Anyway, I'm fine with it thematically. As for how well it actually performs in-game, I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Posted

As long as the melee doesn't overpower the bow (and just adds to it instead), I'm fine with it.

Posted

i would rather have an "upgrade" in my rangeds attack than getting a mele awakening... double crossbows could have been cool :(

2 people like this

Posted

Posted

Remix of the blader class? That sounds really funny.

You can't even compare them, they are totally different.

Also, with the awakening you still have "ranged" attacks with the daggers. She got many AOE skills with the awakening.

Her awakening reminded me of Ninja instead. I'm really disappointed with the Ninja skill-set, i wanted to main him, but after trying him out on KR.. its just not what i expected.

But i do like the Ranger's awakening skills, and i like the idea of being both ranged and melee with her. This pretty much decided for me what class im going to play. Now only have to wait for the male version <.<

Posted

Terrible..

Close range dual swords. Dumbest thing ever. Should have gone to blader.

Posted

You can say what you want, but I really like the concept of Ranger's AW. To me, combining ranged and melee playstyle is terrific, I've tried it before many times... Well, in the end it's all a matter of taste - some will like it, others will despise it - just like regarding anything else. ^_^

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

It's done. It won't change. Embrace it or choose another class. There's no point in discussing it. And yes, the awakening of the ranger is the weakest one out of all classes because ranger was already very strong, and they balanced her out.

Edited by Chun-Chun
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I really like the awakening, makes for some cool combos while weaving between stances.

As Chun-Chun has said, the class was very strong to begin with, so the awakening will not be as strong as the other ones to balance it out. And frankly, if you don't like it, go play another class since it will not change or get used to it.

Edited by A Korean Poro
1 person likes this

Posted

I'm probably gonna be a ranger forever and their awakening makes them more versatile so I'm all for it. 

1 person likes this

Posted

I like it, gives some variation to her kit. Sometimes I don't feel like playing ranged so I can swap and just farm like that also in PvP I won't be as helpless anymore when someone gets close.

1 person likes this

Posted

Not a big fan of the melee awakening, as I settled on the ranger because I wanted to play a mobile ranged class that wants to stay out of melee range as much as possible. Hopefully using awakening skills will be more optional. 

Posted

melee awakening for ranger? it kinda messed with my mind. at least ranger got more mobility

Posted

It's done. It won't change. Embrace it or choose another class. There's no point in discussing it. And yes, the awakening of the ranger is the weakest one out of all classes because ranger was already very strong, and they balanced her out.

Holy -----, you are so smart. Why haven't I thought of this. THis post is so useful and genius.... oh wait it isn't, And I obviously won't pick the class if I don't like it. However there is a point in discussing it to find out what people think of it, and if someone played with it, how it feels....

Posted

atleast you have a melee filler while you wait for blader plum and ninja to be added....even tho starting a tamer would be way more useful in case you wanna switch to a ninja/kuno later

Posted

Personally I think the ranger awakening isn't very practical... I would rather have a different ranged weapon, maybe a close ranged or longer ranged variant of the regular bow? One could shoot faster at shorter range, the other slower, stronger at longer range.

Posted

Personally I think the ranger awakening isn't very practical... I would rather have a different ranged weapon, maybe a close ranged or longer ranged variant of the regular bow? One could shoot faster at shorter range, the other slower, stronger at longer range.

No thanks. We don't need the strongest ranged class in game becoming even stronger at the same range or having a longer range. 

Posted

lol no nobody uses awakened weapon on KR; ranger awakening is shit by virtue of not flowing well with bow kit and not being strong enough standalone; will of wind cancel will always be primary melee range dps, especially since wind charge ult nerf makes you have to be in medium close range to do full dps

Posted

I've said several times, the most likely thing to happen is for you to avoid using it in pvp, assuming it wasn't broken, because RANGE IN ITSELF is an advantage. Also, why fix what wasn't broken.

Posted

lol no nobody uses awakened weapon on KR; ranger awakening is shit by virtue of not flowing well with bow kit and not being strong enough standalone; will of wind cancel will always be primary melee range dps, especially since wind charge ult nerf makes you have to be in medium close range to do full dps

I guess it's fair enough, as it's kinda strong, if the nerf isn't too severe. 

But how is the nerf?

Posted (edited)

Wind charge ult nerf was a change to the range and shape of the spray.

Basically you have to walk closer to people to hit it whereas before you could just snipe people with the full spray

See it here:

Noticeable single shot element jutting out from the top of the spray shape now. Functionally it doesn't really change the way wind control ult is used 

Edited by Walpurga