• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

Share your thoughts on the ranger awakening.

77 posts in this topic

Posted

Diversity... nuff said

Posted

Altought i love idea of Sword + Dagger weapon type, after reading about it, it should be someone else awakening or totally new class. 

Posted (edited)

That nerf is in my opinion alright. I've been tossing around with it in RU, and it has kinda been easy mode pvp, cos it could hit very far.

This change is fair enough I think. Cos it's like.. Wanna hit hard? - then get closer. before rangers could just faceroll that really. 

Obviously I'd prefer keeping old one, as I'll play ranger myself, but I can see why it has been made. 

However I do wonder if it's intended, or if it's like the bug that some people talked about some weeks ago, with riding the wind etc. 

Edited by Flash

Posted (edited)

When I first discovered this game I was like "Im gonna play ranger!". Witch is pretty rare for me since I usually take quite some time to decide what class to play and in the end have to start multiple classes till I can decide (if I even can).

However after seeing the awakening weapon for ranger I must say I am pretty disappointed (and can't decide witch class to play again).

First off I know the class is called ranger not Archer... blablabla whatever it was however the only truely ranged only class. Now with the awakening it seems kinda like a remix of the blader class, rather then something awesome (like a 2 handed for warriors). 

Purely gameplay wise it obviously seems pretty solid at first glance for the class since it improves what it is weakest at, on the other hand if it is even remotly balanced it will probably still be weaker then dedicated melee classes melee so theres that. Ontop of that the skills really look ... meh (at least in my opinion) and dont seem to really fit the theme (color wise etc) of the other ranger abilities.

Dunno maybe I am missing something so I wanted to ask, what are your thoughts on the awakening weapon of the ranger? And if anyone has played it whats your thoughts on the gameplay?

To everyone in this thread but mostly to you, if you're curious about ranger awakening and how it really meshes me and a guildie are going to be PvP'ing with it later tonight in a stream around 7pm pst for awhile. The streamer will also answer questions as will I (the ranger) about awakening and any questions about BDO in general. He's not awakened but I'm using an account that is awakened so if you tune in, you can see it in action and see how we learn how to play it since I'm new to it as well. http://www.twitch.tv/Miggey95

Edited by URLOL
time change
1 person likes this

Posted

Pretty lame IMO. Awakening should have still made the ranger ranged. A cool idea that Cabal Online did for their ranger on "awakening" (I forgot what theirs was called), but the ranger switched to dual pistols for a brief moment. Was pretty badass when I played it. Something of similar idea should have been for a ranger, or at least have kept her ranged in awakening mode.

Posted

I think the awakening looks super fun to jump between ranged and melee. Combat looks really smooth.

Posted

I just sitting here asking wheres the addintoinal range counterpart to melee classes, makes just about as much sense. Imagine if iron man beserkers could aoe burst you from afar, fly in, switch, and spin rek the whole party, doesn't make much sense, but "range is their weakness" soo....

I mean even then, for rangers you want me to be at range, go in, then run away and be at range again, there's no flow there, there's no advantage there.

what they should have done is basically gave them ranged CC that locks them into dodgable ranged artillery in exchange for less DPS.

OR, or, like others have said, crossbows for more movement and attack speed in exchange for less DPS so that if someone is chasing your ass you can be mobile and still fire and just go for chip dmg instead, maybe throw a few traps in there, it would be better than running away and doing nothing or comparatively sitting still to take the shot and getting face punched, it would cover their weakness without giving them some huge ass boon to mass pvp, it would encourage proper flow, make you feel versatile and powerful, and wouldn't make them a lesser clone of another class.

No one else has a lance/fist guns/greatsword but it seems like everyone and their mom has a knife and that's just boring

but what do I know, ask the koreans who have already been vocal about how pointless it is.

Posted

The ranger pre-awakening uses a longbow and a dagger anyway, except the dagger skills are weak and not that useful. 

Post-awakening allows you to actually defend yourself at a close range, because it happens much too often in PK, even if you can leap away. It just adds more solo-pve capability, and an extra edge in PK.

Posted

Is this something that are implemented on the realese this sunday? Or is it only in KR yet? And og so, is it å reward or do you bred to find it? :)

It makes ranger a more atractive char to play og this is something that will be implemented :)

Posted

Is this something that are implemented on the realese this sunday? Or is it only in KR yet? And og so, is it å reward or do you bred to find it? :)

It makes ranger a more atractive char to play og this is something that will be implemented :)

Pretty sure awakening isn't there on launch.

But even if it was, then you wouldn't hit 56 before mediah - 54 is around upper limit without mediah as catfish turns grey at 54/55 I believe. 

Posted

I like the idea, but I'm looking forward to see if it is really viable in pvp

Posted

I don't like it. Having melee weapons on Ranger will encourage to go melee, if it's stronger than bow. If it's not going to be stronger than bow, we'll just end up using our kit to disengage and stay at distance. Seems like Rangers Awakening will either destroy the pre-awakening playsyle or be utterly useless. That's at least what I'm thinking. 

Posted

I think the awakening looks super fun to jump between ranged and melee. Combat looks really smooth.

We basically get the best of both worlds, what's NOT to love? If I want to use a bow, ill use a bow. And with the awakening I can choose to go melee as well. I've always loved a nice combination of ranged and melee, switching to either when needed.

So I absolutely LOVE this.

Posted

We basically get the best of both worlds, what's NOT to love? If I want to use a bow, ill use a bow. And with the awakening I can choose to go melee as well. I've always loved a nice combination of ranged and melee, switching to either when needed.

So I absolutely LOVE this.

It's totally useless in pve, but pretty useful in pvp because of the melee abilities and block capabilities. And don't forget UNLIMITED BLADE WORKS is on your side. Not running arround like a chicken until your stamina is full again. And the fun is great, just logged me in an account of my friend playin her ranger on the korean server to test it out.

Posted

It's totally useless in pve, but pretty useful in pvp because of the melee abilities and block capabilities. And don't forget UNLIMITED BLADE WORKS is on your side. Not running arround like a chicken until your stamina is full again. And the fun is great, just logged me in an account of my friend playin her ranger on the korean server to test it out.

Ugh you get to play it... I envy you. But how is it useless in pve? Because the bow is a better option?

Posted

@Faythscar Yep, in damage, range and utility.

Posted (edited)

Ah well I can live with that. The awesomeness factor more than makes up for it for me anyway. ^_^

Edited by Faythscar

Posted

To everyone in this thread but mostly to you, if you're curious about ranger awakening and how it really meshes me and a guildie are going to be PvP'ing with it later tonight in a stream around 7pm pst for awhile. The streamer will also answer questions as will I (the ranger) about awakening and any questions about BDO in general. He's not awakened but I'm using an account that is awakened so if you tune in, you can see it in action and see how we learn how to play it since I'm new to it as well. http://www.twitch.tv/Miggey95

Well, didn't manage to catch you on stream, how are your thoughts on the awakening though? 

I've been asking around on twitch and some Korean feedback and till now the general opinion was somewhere between it is absolutely utter shit to its funny but mostly pointless. Being not very fluid to combo into and most importantly not useful at all since you have no reason to ever want to go melee as a ranger.

While I do realize that the Ranger is considered on the strong side, giving him a shitty awakening seems the wrong way to approach balance and does get me kinda concerned considering future balance. All that aside, at least the Blader awakening looks amazing (and the plum looks decent) so I uess I'm not playing this game till we get blader or plum on EU/NA (and then ill have to decide between those two). 

I really wish they would consider changing the awakening though i highly doubt that will happen even with all the negative feedback. But hey, maybe a miracle happens, or maybe there turns out to be some amazing stuff you can do with it that nobody found out about till now.

Damn, this clip made me want to play ranger so bad https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMpkxhYifoA

Posted

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but as a ranger, if you get caught in melee via a grab/knockdown or whatever, you're pretty much dead in being taken out in a few hits/combos. Reason being our armor/defense is the lowest out of all the classes. Hence why rangers avoid close combat and stay range.

With the Awaken ability yes you can fight better in close combat doing melee combos and damage, but isn't the low armor/defense still the same as before hence, you're just putting yourself in harm's way of getting grabbed or combo'ed to death in a few hits? Or does awakening somehow also boost the armor and defense to that of other classes that I don't know about?

Posted

Well, didn't manage to catch you on stream, how are your thoughts on the awakening though? 

I've been asking around on twitch and some Korean feedback and till now the general opinion was somewhere between it is absolutely utter shit to its funny but mostly pointless. Being not very fluid to combo into and most importantly not useful at all since you have no reason to ever want to go melee as a ranger.

While I do realize that the Ranger is considered on the strong side, giving him a shitty awakening seems the wrong way to approach balance and does get me kinda concerned considering future balance. All that aside, at least the Blader awakening looks amazing (and the plum looks decent) so I uess I'm not playing this game till we get blader or plum on EU/NA (and then ill have to decide between those two). 

I really wish they would consider changing the awakening though i highly doubt that will happen even with all the negative feedback. But hey, maybe a miracle happens, or maybe there turns out to be some amazing stuff you can do with it that nobody found out about till now.

Damn, this clip made me want to play ranger so bad https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMpkxhYifoA

Honestly, I love ranger awakening. My opinion on it is that if you know how to use it, you can easily beat classes with melee abilities like Greatsword awakening. You can go in and go through their block with our grab and easily do lots of damage to them. We can avoid more ccs with our mini blocks. Lots of people don't like it because they haven't really tried it before and if they did they didn't give credit to it.

I do think that this (weak) awakening was require of ranger because we could already beat classes without our awakening who have their awakening. With our awakening it just makes it faster and easier. Awakening abilities scale harder than any of our abilities so we technically do more damage in our awakening stance with less AP. You can technically be just fine without this awakening because we are so powerful without it, but you would make fights a lot harder for yourself.

1 person likes this

Posted

Why is bow damage higher than awakening weapon damage by the way? The damage multipliers are way higher for awakening weapons (see http://form1ca.ru/media/bdo/calc/calc_04ranger.html)?

Animations.

Posted

I don't like it. Having melee weapons on Ranger will encourage to go melee, if it's stronger than bow. If it's not going to be stronger than bow, we'll just end up using our kit to disengage and stay at distance. Seems like Rangers Awakening will either destroy the pre-awakening playsyle or be utterly useless. That's at least what I'm thinking. 

I cannot say that I've played on KR or RU with the ranger awakening. But just reading through the posts here and hearing what people have to say. I think the one I quoted details my main fears about the awakening really well. 

Damage-wise, I think rangers should have their ranged damage stay superior to their melee awakening damage. But I feel like the melee awakening should have a high skill ceiling. A high skill ceiling allows people who devote time to learning how to play the class in melee range to succeed. This is all opinion of course, but in PvP, I'd like to see the melee ranger be able to "outplay" a dedicated melee class like the warrior/berserker/etc. through blocks/evasion and avoiding CC or burst. They wouldn't necessarily have more damage than a ranger who decided to stay at range, but if a melee class was able to get up close and personal (and stay there), then the awakening skill set could prove useful to a skilled ranger.

I find it harder to rationalize the dual melee weapons in PvE. I've seen some gameplay of it and they seem to have some ranged spells and some disengage. This could allow the ranger to deal some damage and escape back to ranged. Unless the awakening brings some pretty insane PvE utility, or just better damage than the ranged skill set, I can't see it being of much use in any PvE scenario. I'd love to be corrected on this though! 

Would love to be corrected on any of the above if I'm blatantly wrong in something I've said. Would also like to hear some more detailed opinions. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Posted (edited)

Honestly, I love ranger awakening. My opinion on it is that if you know how to use it, you can easily beat classes with melee abilities like Greatsword awakening. You can go in and go through their block with our grab and easily do lots of damage to them. We can avoid more ccs with our mini blocks. Lots of people don't like it because they haven't really tried it before and if they did they didn't give credit to it.

I do think that this (weak) awakening was require of ranger because we could already beat classes without our awakening who have their awakening. With our awakening it just makes it faster and easier. Awakening abilities scale harder than any of our abilities so we technically do more damage in our awakening stance with less AP. You can technically be just fine without this awakening because we are so powerful without it, but you would make fights a lot harder for yourself.

Hmm, honestly you are the second person now I heard talking not (purely) negative about it after playing with it. The way you put it sounds interesting. Do you have the broadcast recorded where you test it? would really love to see your thoughts and tests first hand. 

The "block" of the awakening does seem like it offers something interesting I just can't see, like some people mention in posts above, that you would ever actually want to go in that close. And if you do get caught it seems like you pretty much get one-shoted anyway. 

However all my opinion is built upon other peoples opinion that have played it aswell as watching people use it so I might very well be missing something I would realize when playing with it.

Anyway, if you do have that stream recorded I'd love to watch it and thanks for your honest opinion.

( I checked your stream and you do have quite a few broadcasts recorded, however none had something with ranger in the title so if you could point me to the right one that would be amazing)

Edited by KuVates

Posted

Animations.

I see, bow has lots of animation cancels of course. ^_^