• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

so, what makes a good leader?

40 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

To add to some of the definitions I agree with previously posted, I think a good leader should know when somebody else is better equipped for the task and know when to step down/aside. In essence, a good leader should also know how to follow. I think this is best characterized when a leader understands the people he is trying to lead, as he perceives their points of view. Obviously a leader would not last very long if he chose to step down completely, but delegating power through different commanders is a good example of what I am thinking about with this answer.

Edited by Lyonking

Posted

A good leader should be Donald Trump.

1 person likes this

Posted

Good guild leaders have an agenda that they establish when they create their goal for the guild, then the fill the roster with the, "right" people to hit that goal

Great guild leaders do both of the following, then make it happen.

Posted

02c26f43eef9d95f9be50b34114ebcc4.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Everything you ever need to know about leadership can be summed up in this here video.

3 people like this

Posted

An absolute madman, an incomprehensible savage, the very definition of strange.
Thats why I joined Millenium. :*

@LoneWolf

1 person likes this

Posted

An absolute madman, an incomprehensible savage, the very definition of strange.
Thats why I joined Millenium. :*

@LoneWolf

tumblr_lwf9cjOJxI1r280kmo1_500.gif

1 person likes this

Posted

I've been following my own leader understanding him like an apprentice and I would like to know what you guys think a leader should be like!

I think a lot of things make for a great leader. I've been under way too many guild leaders haha and there's just something special about each one of them that got me to stay in the guild first of all (lol) and follow them for years. 

A few traits that many of them had in common was: 

Charisma -  A unique personality and charm. Which could be quirky jokes, bold and fearless actions,just a likable person. 

Empathy/Patience - Understanding their members and who follow them.

Power - To be the leader you need to have the most power or be comparable to other guild leaders. No I'm not kidding. 

(This comes in different forms, you have control of the teamspeak, guild forums, you have connections and know people and handle politics and are respected, you are  one of the most skilled and recognized player in the guild, control the most resources ($$$, crafting materials), the most knowledgeable about the game allowing you to be able to be an effective raid leader/theorycrafter and progress the guild.) 

Wisdom - Having years of experience leading before because it's like a part time job to lead an active guild.

Another one is just knowing when to let go of certain resources or goals or pride (sacrifice) to better the guild like a guild merge or alliance, how to deal with drama/cliques and nip it in the bud, clarity like telling the guild you're going to do this or that or change the direction of the guild's progress. 

I could go on forever, I can say I've met some very interesting people who somehow turned out to be amazing leaders of incredible guilds/groups/raids.  

Posted (edited)

Confidence, Intelligence, Decisiveness, Dedication and Patience.  If you have those, people will trust you're making smart, effective goals in the interest of them [the group].  In turn, a group will have dedication to help the each other achieve those goals no matter how hard because, they'd be patient since they trust you.

Edited by Broodex

Posted

Do everything I do.  

Posted

That's some HIGH ENERGY sir!

Posted

That's some HIGH ENERGY sir!

Damn necromancers.

Posted

So the values of a leader are somewhat subjective. Referencing Hitler, all his actions aside, he was considered to be a great leader because of his (undeniable) charisma and what he did for the German people as a whole (attempted to make cars affordable for citizens, instituted vacation). Being able to convince the masses that your goals are their goals and motivate them to that end could definitely be a desired leadership quality.

Some consider a good leader to one that shows concern for subordinates. They care for their well-being, their needs, and their desires. Often they place the needs of their subordinates before their own.

Some consider a leader to be one that is not a "friend" but one that makes the hard choices and leads the collective to success, even if the decisions to that end are undesirable. They understand that sacrifices must be made to achieve success and some people might not like them, or even outright hate them. Regardless, they achieve success.

Some leaders are balanced in these aspects, some are more direct in their nature. Typically, people will have a sharp contrast with some leadership styles. Some need a more caring and sensitive leadership style and can't handle the latter above. Some need that structure and direction. Some are independent and don't care if someone is looking out for them, they just want to be given directions to follow.

The leader will foster a positive climate when surrounded by subordinates that identify with their particular styles of leadership.

Posted

Hard to find a good leader