• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

Ninja awakening trailer (23.06 release)

172 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Ninja's use katanas, the feel is Samurai-esque, but if the player doesn't use the Samurai outfits and the player see's Iajutsu, sword techniques, than the Ninja is still a Ninja.

Granted Sais, Nunchucks, or a Chain and Sickle would have been more in theme for the Ninja, but either way we still have two separate classes as far as Blader and Ninja goes, but I'm sorta let down another "sword" awakening is released.

Edited by Artigan

Posted (edited)

Because you just link a bunch of sources that confirm my point about this chart:

Untitled34.thumb.png.9fff255da5bc726f13e

He even uses a book as a reference which was written in 1980's, way befor Wiki even existed. And you still got nothing to show that would prove otherwise.

The sources he used outside of the book are simply articles that need to have their own sources for them to be remotely valid. The only one that does is the wikipedia, and you have already admitted to thinking that is a worthless source despite it actually sourcing the information, unlike the other webpages. And again the book, is a biased book written by a person who can't confirm where or how he learned what he does and contradicts historians that research Ninjitsu and even have family ties those that are actually verified to practice it.

BTW, the fact the book was written so long ago, likely makes its information outdated as new information on many parts of Ninja have been discovered since then.

Edited by Noth

Posted (edited)

Phantom

Edited by Phantom

Posted

The sheath weapon animations are nice..  otherwise looks like a Dualwielding Blader.

And the GIANT CHAKRAM of the Konoichi.. ugh. :/

Posted

You haven't yet listed a single sources that proves your points.

You don't like my sources that's fine by me. You still got nothing.

Ninja AD 1460-1680

Ninja The invisible Assassin

Handbook to Life in Medieval and Early Modern Japan

Posted (edited)

WTF is wrong with you???? So take a 12y old girl and make her a sorceress with a staff, allow her to stealth and then she becomes a ninja?

if that girl can also throw shuriken, kunai, wear ninja themed outfits, move appropriately, use a katana in addition to the staff, vanish leaving a log behind, and stealth... yes she has the right to be called a Ninja in a fantasy game.

you're just understanding

Is it complicated to understand

YOU JUST UNDERSTAND

IS IT TOO COMPLICATED TO UNDERSTAND?

are almost all don't understanding at all the points

Why can't you understand that???

Wow, all from one single post:

GWR-TM-Record-Holder-Strap-Stripes1.png

You IQ is just to low to understand it. It's a fact.

You counter argument is staggeringly insightful. Did you come across that supposed fact at the same place you found facts about Ninja and Samurai?

Is it complicated to understand that I didn't say shit about the outfit, I didn't say shit about the fact that he has swords etc... YOU JUST UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU WANT. OK what I've said is that the OVERALL look, the appearance, the style of the GAMEPLAY looks more like a blader than the actual ninja shortsword.

Below is your first post in this thread. You continually say Ninja has been turned into a Blader/Samurai and state the Musa class was already the Samurai. I'm pretty sure everyone responding to you understands perfectly. Your point about Black Desert already having a Samurai class is incorrect and until you admit that, I can see why you think we don't understand. Your perception of Musa does not change the fact it is not a Samurai, no matter how much you or others think it is. Regardless, new skills or outfits can be added to classes that may result in one class becoming more like something else in real life. You get that right?

Why does it shock you that a Ninja would wield a sword similarly to another class also using a sword? Do you realize that the sword is DIFFERENT than the short katana? It's certainly understandable the Ninja would wield the sword differently than a short katana and closer to another sword.

All your posts are simply crying about Pearl Abyss' choice of awakening weapon. You have every right to feel disappointed. I have no trouble accepting that. What i have trouble accepting are your insinuations PA has some how made mistakes with the Ninja theme or your perception of Samurai/Blader/Musa supports your stance. Your main point has been that the Ninja awakening is too much like a Samurai class already in Black Desert but there is no Samurai class in Black Desert. Which leaves us with both classes using sword as the biggest similarity. You don't like the awakening, end of story. 

So to resume a 2nd samurai class. I mean who cares that the ninja has samurai background? There is ALREADY a samurai class so what is the point of making a second one just because the ninja has some samurai background??? I literally see musa players saying they will reroll ninja because it looks more samurai-like, wtf that shouldn't happen, What about the players like me who like ninja style better than samurai style?

What a lack of originality I'd say. I cannot talk too much about the gameplay because it's a teaser, I'll need to watch videos of rotations from KR players to see if I'm less diappointed, but for the style part, what a lack of originality... If I prefer the ninja to the blader it's not to look like a blader with my awakening lol. I mean even if he has swords they could have done it with originality like making the swords floating, throwing them while dual wielding or so many other things, like I'm not a game designer so a game designer should be able to find some stuff more original... It's a ninja, he should go quick, make fast moves and skilled rotations, not just swinging a sword like a samurai.

Edited by Ginrei

Posted (edited)

Phantom

Edited by Phantom

Posted

Ninja in july.

HYPE TRAIN!

Posted

Yup. Him killing those mobs really made him look trash.

actually it did the animation on the skills seems very slow and the radius of the frontal attacks seemed very small. for a naturally squishy class not the best combo

Posted

"Knowledge " war still on? Pogchamp 

Posted

Guys, just stop replying to this troll :D It's obvious.

Also why no one complains about Kuno looks like a fking fox???? A FOX IS NOT A NINJA OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Posted

Guys, just stop replying to this troll :D It's obvious.

Also why no one complains about Kuno looks like a fking fox???? A FOX IS NOT A NINJA OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

It's just a costume. We're talking about the skills and that they don't really feel/look like a ninja.

Posted

It's just a costume. We're talking about the skills and that they don't really feel/look like a ninja.

Noth and some other people already stated that the martial art that Ninja uses ( with awakening too ), is Japanese and its the same that Ninjas, Samurais used.

Have you read the topic?

We are the ones that say its just outfit, thats the fking joke if you didn't get it. And everyone complains about that it looks like a samurai.  But thats just OUTFIT.

And if you ever played ninja in this game, you would feel pretty much that his awakening is very similar ( the sword attacks when he swings / slashes ).

It's nothing like Musa

Posted

This awakening brought an end to the Ninja class, and turned it in to a Samurai, which with Ninja skills made it a much stronger version of a Blader.

Amazing, you probably haven't played a Ninja before and you certainly haven't played the awakening before. Yet somehow you've managed to conclude the class has turned into a Samurai and will be stronger than Musa. All from watching a trailer of a Ninja using swords.

e62.gif

1 person likes this

Posted

if that girl can also throw shuriken, kunai, wear ninja themed outfits, move appropriately, use a katana in addition to the staff, vanish leaving a log behind, and stealth... yes she has the right to be called a Ninja in a fantasy game.

Wow, all from one single post:

GWR-TM-Record-Holder-Strap-Stripes1.png

You counter argument is staggeringly insightful. Did you come across that supposed fact at the same place you found facts about Ninja and Samurai?

Below is your first post in this thread. You continually say Ninja has been turned into a Blader/Samurai and state the Musa class was already the Samurai. I'm pretty sure everyone responding to you understands perfectly. Your point about Black Desert already having a Samurai class is incorrect and until you admit that, I can see why you think we don't understand. Your perception of Musa does not change the fact it is not a Samurai, no matter how much you or others think it is. Regardless, new skills or outfits can be added to classes that may result in one class becoming more like something else in real life. You get that right?

Why does it shock you that a Ninja would wield a sword similarly to another class also using a sword? Do you realize that the sword is DIFFERENT than the short katana? It's certainly understandable the Ninja would wield the sword differently than a short katana and closer to another sword.

All your posts are simply crying about Pearl Abyss' choice of awakening weapon. You have every right to feel disappointed. I have no trouble accepting that. What i have trouble accepting are your insinuations PA has some how made mistakes with the Ninja theme or your perception of Samurai/Blader/Musa supports your stance. Your main point has been that the Ninja awakening is too much like a Samurai class already in Black Desert but there is no Samurai class in Black Desert. Which leaves us with both classes using sword as the biggest similarity. You don't like the awakening, end of story. 

Ok I think you're just dumb as ----- then. WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE??? WHY the ----- does it matter so much to you that I've said samurai instead of korean warrior omfg? You're triggered cause you're an asian culture geek and you absolutely want to correct me??? DUDE IDC SAMURAI OR KOREAN WARRIOR THAT IS NOT THE POINT. The point is that AWAKEN NINJA IS MORE LIKE A MUSA THAN THE SHORTSWORD NINJA, WHAT I FIND A SHAME BECAUSE ONE IT'S NOT ORIGINAL AND TWO IT'S NOT THE SAME STYLE AS THE FORMER NINJA. Alright do you understand or you're just dumb as ----- as I stated? Like you think you're more intelligent but you just don't want or have the capability to understand the real point of why I don't like the awakening that much, and why I think it wasn't a good move from PA.

That's interesting to arrive at a point where I have to caps lock 50% of my message just because I have to repeat all over again because of people don't knowing what is important in an argument.

Noth and some other people already stated that the martial art that Ninja uses ( with awakening too ), is Japanese and its the same that Ninjas, Samurais used.

Have you read the topic?

We are the ones that say its just outfit, thats the fking joke if you didn't get it. And everyone complains about that it looks like a samurai.  But thats just OUTFIT.

And if you ever played ninja in this game, you would feel pretty much that his awakening is very similar ( the sword attacks when he swings / slashes ).

It's nothing like Musa

Now apparently you don't understand either... I said that it has NOTHING to do with outfit, just go over my messages again I'm tired of repeating all over again. AGAIN, WHY ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT HOW IT FEELS WHEN YOU PLAY IT? I talk about the overall look of the fighting style, NOT ABOUT HOW IT FEELS WHEN YOU ACTUALLY PLAY IT. 

Like people really. How can you possibly say that awaken ninja in the overall STYLE, not the actual gameplay but the APPEARANCE of fighting skills looks more like the shortsword ninja than the musa? Like wtf. It's funny cause I don't hate the awakening, but I feel like I don't want to defend it because of you guys just don't understanding.

1 person likes this

Posted

@Keagghan

Are you upset? You can use all caps to repeat statements as much as you like but it doesn't make them any more valid than the first time you wrote them. I keep trying to explain the flaws in your argument using other words or examples. Your response has been to repeat yourself using caps. In other words, cry louder.

You can ignore our posts and pretend you were making a particular point but the fact remains that you continually referred to how each class was similar to a Samurai. Your argument was based around how each class has similarities to a Samurai. That does not make Ninja similar enough to Musa to out right replace them. Person A can look similar to person X because they have the same hair color, same height, and same scars. Person B can look similar to person X because they have the same eye color, same weight, and same skin tone. But guess what, Person A and B look nothing alike. However, you're using that same logic to claim Ninja has become a class theme already held by Musa. That is the ridiculous conclusion you've been drawing with Ninja and Musa.

I decided to start from the beginning and work through your posts one step at a time. So until you stop making that type of comparison or admit your error I feel justified bringing it up repeatedly. 

The point is that AWAKEN NINJA IS MORE LIKE A MUSA THAN THE SHORTSWORD NINJA

I'll address the point above because I hope you can't hide from it once you don't like what you hear. Is that statement supposed to mean something? It's no surprise that how a Ninja wields one of two different weapons will favor one over the other in a comparison to a third weapon. But using that as a basis to say the awakening is not the same style as the original Ninja because it shares too much in common with Musa makes no sense. Is it that hard to believe Musa and Ninja might use a curved katana in much the same way? And how the Ninja uses a curved katana might differ greatly from the short katana? Or is there some Ninja way to wield both weapons a Musa shouldn't use?

All of your posts could be deleted and replaced with one sentence without missing a beat, "I'm unhappy because i was hoping for something different".  Trying to justify why you dislike the awakening by claiming the fault lies with Pearl Abyss' design choices is funny.

So please, keep telling us all we don't understand. It never gets old I swear.

Posted

Nah I maintain you're just either an idiot or just don't understand. So I'm gonna stop capslocking because you think I'm crying behind my screen while I only capslock because you don't understand shit. You're triggered by the samurai thing don't you? Ok you're gonna erase samurai from your mind and my messages and you'll see. I don't give a shit about samurais, just get rid of it and talk as I said about musa and ninja only. So the first part of your message is useless because I don't give a ----- about how both classes look like a samurai, I care about how much the new ninja looks more like the musa than the original ninja.

Now about the second part. Your arguments are just so poor it's nonsense. Dude you're saying exactely what I mean from the beginning, and I'm glad you accepted it, awaken ninja looks more like the musa than the original ninja. And what you're saying doesn't make any sense. So PA give the ninja a katana like the musa so it is forced to be like the musa? Wait so what's the point of creating this awakening if we already have it as a musa? That's all no need to argue again, I've made my point and apparently you agree with that. Now how could they have made a different gameplay style with katanas other than the musa one, well I don't know I'm not game designer, but don't tell me you can't have another fighting style just because you have the same weapon of another class, especially when you have 5 more of that weapon. I mean he could have throwing swords while dual wielding, even idk make them float in front of him to kind off make a protection, they could have done maaaaany things more original. Now about the "I'm unhappy blablabla", well yes I'm unhappy lol, you didn't see it? But the thing is how the ----- does it change anything to my arguments lol? So yes I'm quite unhappy about the awakening BECAUSE it looks more like a musa than the original ninja. That's all lol idk what you're talking about. About PA, well you say the fault lies on them, dude what is this argument seriously? PA makes the game, so if there is something you don't like in the game well yeah it's their fault...lol I don't get the point. Now about the fact that I think it's their falt, it's because they made a class for people who liked the original ninja class, to transform it into a bladerlike class which has pretty much nothing to do about the original ninja except the basics stealth skills etc. So they hyped us who like ninja as we see it commonly to finally get rid of this image and turn the ninja into another type of ninja that doesn't suit to the former image of the original ninja. Now you understood? I hope so because I swear dude you are wrong, all the shit you make about the samurai isn't relevant about my point, and... well that's all because it was your main argument about me being wrong.

You seem to have pretty good arguments but the point is it's just pure sophism, there isn't a single valid argument that affects me, you even said you agreed on the point I make about the fact that awaken ninja looks more like the musa than the original ninja.

So...yeah.

Posted

Because you just link a bunch of sources that confirm my point about this chart:

Untitled34.thumb.png.9fff255da5bc726f13e

He even uses a book as a reference which was written in 1980's, way befor Wiki even existed. And you still got nothing to show that would prove otherwise.

Ninja Clans could be hired as mercenaries. Some ninja worked directly for nobles and were vassals.
Ninjas didnt wear black. Nothing is more conspicuous than black when night is actually deep blue and some idiot is running around with his face covered. They looked like normal people, or most commonly traveling holy men because most travel between warring states was seen as suspicious for anyone else.
All combatants prefer sneak attacks. It almost ensures victory and keeps you alive.
When engaged in open battle, ninja also worse Japanese style armor. It wasnt relegated to Samurai. Being Samurai just meant you had money for better more fancy armor. And its mostly woven fabric and leather, with very little metal.

Hattori Hanzo was one of the most famous Ninjas in recorded history and was a Samurai and vassal to Tokugawa Ieyasu. That makes him both Samurai and Ninja. Not lower class of Japanese society and not the only ninja operative in History to be both Ninja and Samurai. He performed both stealth operations and outright combat and was a famed tactician. Now please shut up, your idiocy physically pains me. Google it.

Posted

Ninja Clans could be hired as mercenaries. Some ninja worked directly for nobles and were vassals.
Ninjas didnt wear black. Nothing is more conspicuous than black when night is actually deep blue and some idiot is running around with his face covered. They looked like normal people, or most commonly traveling holy men because most travel between warring states was seen as suspicious for anyone else.
All combatants prefer sneak attacks. It almost ensures victory and keeps you alive.
When engaged in open battle, ninja also worse Japanese style armor. It wasnt relegated to Samurai. Being Samurai just meant you had money for better more fancy armor. And its mostly woven fabric and leather, with very little metal.

Hattori Hanzo was one of the most famous Ninjas in recorded history and was a Samurai and vassal to Tokugawa Ieyasu. That makes him both Samurai and Ninja. Not lower class of Japanese society and not the only ninja operative in History to be both Ninja and Samurai. He performed both stealth operations and outright combat and was a famed tactician. Now please shut up, your idiocy physically pains me. Google it.

Doesn't matter anymore, bro.

" Ninja class to be added with in the next 2 month? "

tumblr_inline_o1nydlZpCd1s38klp_500.thum

Posted

Naaaaah they got to be kidding. 

Posted

Well If Ninja gets delayed until August it's a good thing I have Overwatch to keep me busy since I am already playing the bare minimum (4 seals and accept scrolls). They have said July so players will hold them to that. You think the forums are full of salt and complaints over Ninjas now? If they announce another delay because of "balance" reasons then you ain't seen nothing yet.

Posted

Sorry for the MASSIVE post but it's a good chance to talk about ninja in general haha!

Sengoku Era

Ninja and Kunoichi

Iga and Koga were the two regions that were notable for their systematic training of ninja. This is not the only thing they did, nor were they the only regions to train ninja, but there is a fair amount of records of them putting significant resources and manpower into training ninja so while it might be ignoring the other characteristics of these two regions, they were indeed famous, or rather, infamous for their ninja.

So no the Iga were not a ninja clan. They were a clan and region like any other and their worlds were not some mystical secret ninja society. Coincidentally, the two different schools of thought on ninjutsu are named after their respective regions, Igaryuu and Kogaryuu.

There is a lot of mystery and exoticism surrounding ninjas and their secret arts. This is not by accident.

One of the ninja's greatest advantages was that no one knew anything about them and they had no idea how they managed to accomplish amazing feats.

Sometimes people would hear of their accomplishments and really embellish the story. Other times the ninja communities themselves would spread insane rumors. This was obviously great for business.

When you advertise that you essentially employ supernatural killers who can't be seen or heard and then be long gone before anyone's the wiser, you're going to get a lot of offers for work.

The things that they actually did are based on three things: extreme physical conditioning, mental conditioning, and training with specialty weapons and tools.

Not everyone could become a ninja. Firstly, all ninja were also samurai. There were some who were not samurai and still engaged in espionage and maybe assassination but they were not recognized as true ninja. It required insane amounts of balance as well as strength and endurance. The biggest thing that ninja trained would not be how to disappear in smoke or create illusions, but upper and lower body strength, especially focusing on the core and building a supreme sense of balance.

Then they required a great deal of intelligence and patience, probably much more than they needed physical strength. Their understandings of military strategy and how to gauge military strength were naturally developed and honed. Their main job was not to assassinate but to gather information. Sometimes it was their job to stake out or follow people and places for days or weeks at a time. Other times they would be required to arrive ASAP, get as much information as they could in a short time, then return before dinner got cold and report.

Other times they would infiltrate institutions or courts. Obviously not everyone was cut out for this, but ninja were expected to be able to be samurai and double as hidden spies.

Finally, we get to the secret techniques, weapons, and tools or 'ninjutsu'. Often they were not fantastical things but very practical set of teachings and tools.

Their secret arts and 'ninjutsu' did not teach the ninja how to do superhuman feats like jumping over buildings or creating illusions at will. In fact, a lot of their more flashy 'ninjutsu techniques' actually rely on the fact that there would be several ninja seamlessly working as a team, but would make it seem like there was only one.

Ninjutsu written in scrolls and ninja primers consistently talk about how to accurately gauge an enemy's military strength, overall war preparedness, how to move across borders and towns undetected, intelligence and counter-intelligence techniques in depth. In general, ninjutsu teaches how to fight an information war as well as control of information, which are essential to war planning. Physical techniques such as 'disappearing' and 'wall scaling' are definitely in the minority of the teachings.

Ninja consistently had a huge list of accomplishments because their leaders consistentlyemployed amazing people. Just like how the Special Forces in a military don't become living embodiments of death because of what they learn in training. They simply only recruited the best of the best.

Sure the training helped but them develop some new skills but even without it, they would still be some of the scariest people you could meet in a dark alley. Same for any ninja. The ninja schools merely gave structure to a profession that already existed.

When revealed, their more physical techniques and ninjutsu arts are tricks that play on the flaws of how the human mind tends to view the world. If anything, ninjutsu is an in depth study, an inside look at how the human mind works as the ninja understood it, and how they exploited it.

For example, they did NOT wear completely black tight fitting body suits. When they were in regular samurai gear ( the gear they normally wore, as they really were samurai), they often wore lighter and plain kimono.

They would wear monk outfits or disguise as beggars while traveling or escaping to avoid detection. Other times they would pretend to be traveling performers and actually attract as much attention as possible on purpose, in a sort of reverse-psychology. The idea is that a samurai would never fall to such lows so they would never imagine in a million years that the smelly hobo monk is actually carefully gauging their military strength.

Other famous techniques include jumping great heights (boosted by teammates) creating illusions to escape (throwing rocks/ debris to make sound plus the presence of actualteammates throws off the enemy when they're trying to get an accurate head count), anddisappearing from plain sight (ninja's would have made very good sleight of hand magicians).

While this may sound intuitive and obvious as hell, it has wide implications.

Just like how perspective and complexity of art has changed throughout history, tactics and thinking have grown in complexity as well. These seem simple but I'm sure it could be just as effective as it was hundreds of years ago.

Ninjas were sometimes employed as warriors on the open battlefield. Those that were trained to fight were naturally just as well trained as any samurai because they were samurai themselves. They honed their bodies as much as any warrior and practiced with their weapons religiously as well. They would not be at some sort of 'genre' disadvantage because they were ninja.

The idea of ninja out in the open sometimes hurts people's sensibilities of a secret agent killer hunter-of-the-night batman illusions. But the matter of fact is that ninja were warriors just like anyone else, with more responsibilities and talents expected of them. In essence, ninja should not be thought of as separate from other samuraiNinja to samurai are what Special Forces units are to the regular infantry today. They had much more in common than anything else.

They earn their distinction not with some inherent stealth powers but with their reserves of experience and talents earned through thousands of hours of training.

The main reason to hire a ninja was information collection, since assassinations were much harder to ensure, and even if assassination were possible, it was rarely the ideal choice. The reality is, assassinations often never happened because killing people is

expensive and time consuming

not nearly as effective as some people wish it were, then and now.

Ninja school of thought was also very deeply rooted in Sun Tzu's Art of War and Zen Buddhism. They considered the battle won without fighting to be the greatest achievement. It is said that the ninjas who did assassinate and fight all the time as the lowest ninja. They were probably considered less valuable, perhaps even expendable (to a point) and not as skilled in information collection as their higher ranked comrades.

On the other hand, the threat of assassination was an effective tool that many would press to their advantage. Ninjas were much more likely to be used to prevent assassination by means of counter-intelligence and surveillance. Their greatest advantage would be that they would be hiding in plain sight, making no sign that they are watching for assassins or even other ninja.

Ninjas were indeed the badasses of the night because they were the Sengoku Era versions of SAS or Spec Ops. They were the masters of their chosen fields, whether it was information collection, sabotage, or assassination. They were feared for their prowess in battle, not simply because they were ninja but because the fact that they were ninja meant that they trained their minds, bodies, and technique as much as any regular samurai. But they were definitely feared a great deal more off the battlefield, where they were the eyes and ears of their patrons.

In this respect, that's why kunoichi were that much more amazing. During this time period, Japanese women lived in a definitively patriarchal society where most women were hardly expected to be able to write, nevermind fight and kill. Their place was in the field and at home taking care of many children.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/comments/12lwoi/the_respective_roles_of_ninja_and_shinobi/