• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

Age-Locked classes

59 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

So recently I have found out that the Wizard class (and possibly others) are Age-Locked. Please remove this lock, I feel people would be happier. Personally, I like Full-Customization, and I do not want to be limited by something like minimum age. When I make my character, I work very hard trying to make them look as perfect to my opinion of an attractive person. Wizard will be my very first class played and my main, and I do not want to have to go through this wonderful world as someone who looks no younger than 40. I'm 24, not 40, and I would greatly enjoy the game more if my character could look 24 as well.

This seems to be the youngest anyone has been able to make their Wizard http://forum.blackdesertonline.com/index.php?/topic/413-john-the-young-wizard/ and I, as well as many others do not like this fact. Let us look however we want to look, whether we're a Warrior or a Wizard. If we want to look old, we'll make the choice to make our characters old.

Thank you

Edited by Ereos
14 people like this

Posted

Training to be a wizard takes quite long so no young man can become one. The wizards are still searching for a spell that can make them look young again though

Witch is another story, they're born with the abilities

1 person likes this

Posted

Training to be a wizard takes quite long so no young man can become one. The wizards are still searching for a spell that can make them look young again though

Witch is another story, they're born with the abilities

But that's nonsense. What if the man is a genius, or has a natural affinity to magic? The individual character is supposed to be special no? So why can't they be young? Isn't the Sorceress the one that's born with abilities, not witch (since witch and wizard are supposed to be the same class)? Also, I think it's pretty sexist to allow females to be as attractive as they want, but to force us males to be ugly just because we want to play the magic class.

Male players are already bared from some good classes, so why do we also have to endure being ugly? If people choose to do some in-depth role-playing, they can make their characters old. But, for those of us uninterested in that level of RP, we shouldn't have to suffer old, unattractive characters. I want to customize my character to my liking, and not be imposed by forced RP. I can sometimes spend up to an hour creating my perfect character, it's part of way I (and many others) enjoy MMOs, to basically remove our ability to make our perfect character is a slap in the face to people who actually care about their character creation.

3 people like this

Posted

I am pretty sure I read that they are working on younger faces/skins for the Wizard. :)

2 people like this

Posted

But that's nonsense. What if the man is a genius, or has a natural affinity to magic? The individual character is supposed to be special no? So why can't they be young? Isn't the Sorceress the one that's born with abilities, not witch (since witch and wizard are supposed to be the same class)? Also, I think it's pretty sexist to allow females to be as attractive as they want, but to force us males to be ugly just because we want to play the magic class.
Male players are already bared from some good classes, so why do we also have to endure being ugly? If people choose to do some in-depth role-playing, they can make their characters old. But, for those of us uninterested in that level of RP, we shouldn't have to suffer old, unattractive characters. I want to customize my character to my liking, and not be imposed by forced RP. I can sometimes spend up to an hour creating my perfect character, it's part of way I (and many others) enjoy MMOs, to basically remove our ability to make our perfect character is a slap in the face to people who actually care about their character creation.

Lore says that females are born with talent for magic while males have to work hard for it*. Also witch has the same skills as wizard but sooner or later they will change a bit** (similar to the difference between blader and plum).

* this information is based on some comments from other threads, I can't confirm nor deny it because I'm waiting for official translation of lore/game

** I have sent an email to Pearl Abyss yesterday asking about it, I'll post anything I'll get as a reply

1 person likes this

Posted

Lore says that females are born with talent for magic while males have to work hard for it*. Also witch has the same skills as wizard but sooner or later they will change a bit** (similar to the difference between blader and plum).

* this information is based on some comments from other threads, I can't confirm nor deny it because I'm waiting for official translation of lore/game

** I have sent an email to Pearl Abyss yesterday asking about it, I'll post anything I'll get as a reply

Thanks for the info Hayaku

Posted

seriously? I was just joking

Posted

seriously? I was just joking

As I said, I would like a confirmation from some lore master but that's what I heard. It's funny though, that you were (probably) right.

Posted

I wanna play a wizard with a white beard and coat so I can shout "you shall not pass" in owpvp. It sucks for some people who want to play a young version for certain classes but then again the lore makes sense to justify the age locks

Posted

I wanna play a wizard with a white beard and coat so I can shout "you shall not pass" in owpvp. It sucks for some people who want to play a young version for certain classes but then again the lore makes sense to justify the age locks

But should people have that lore shoved down their throats? Most of these limitations are unheard of in successful games. I've played a couple games where they limited things like gender and they flopped pretty easy. I already know a few people who want play this game because of both the gender locks and now the age lock.

It just feels like an excuse to not have to make it. Like I keep saying, if people want to get fully involved with the lore and RP, let them...but don't force us-disinterested people to live it. That might fly in the Asian market, but it really doesn't fly so well in the Western market.

Posted

But should people have that lore shoved down their throats? Most of these limitations are unheard of in successful games. I've played a couple games where they limited things like gender and they flopped pretty easy. I already know a few people who want play this game because of both the gender locks and now the age lock.
It just feels like an excuse to not have to make it. Like I keep saying, if people want to get fully involved with the lore and RP, let them...but don't force us-disinterested people to live it. That might fly in the Asian market, but it really doesn't fly so well in the Western market.

i dont mind the lore tbh, if you wanted worse you could play TERA where classes are race lock (the new ones) to female and loli varients and then come back and complain. As much as I hate it I find it not too bad just gonna take some use to.

Posted

i dont mind the lore tbh, if you wanted worse you could play TERA where classes are race lock (the new ones) to female and loli varients and then come back and complain. As much as I hate it I find it not too bad just gonna take some use to.

I haven't played TERA in a while. Those changes sound horrible. It seems that Korean game makers are obsessed with limiting us! -_-

Posted

Let's not talk about the fact that Tera's newest class was first seen on a male NPC but released as female only later. Let's really not.. /cough

But yea, aside from maybe the wizard, the game isn't aged locked. The wrinkle sliders can be used on anyone to significantly alter the age of every other class (which to start, already look young so I feel all ranges are covered).

Posted

Let's not talk about the fact that Tera's newest class was first seen on a male NPC but released as female only later. Let's really not.. /cough

But yea, aside from maybe the wizard, the game isn't aged locked. The wrinkle sliders can be used on anyone to significantly alter the age of every other class (which to start, already look young so I feel all ranges are covered).

you know they are making all new classes on TERA female only, but besides that lets hope we can optimize a class's age

Posted

I agree with OP we need this :)

Posted

I am pretty sure I read that they are working on younger faces/skins for the Wizard. :)

let's hope so

1 person likes this

Posted

+1 to this. I always play as a spellcaster and I'm someone that doesn't feel comfortable playing with a 65 years old character. Indeed, the first question I asked on a fansite was about the possibility of editing the age.

Please, Daum, give us the ability to make younger wizards.

1 person likes this

Posted

We dont need young wizards , only over 9000 Gandalf versions :D

4488876837_8d3da2423a_z.thumb.jpg.ebf320

Posted

Yes, the reason it doesn't work here is because westerners are stupid.

Posted (edited)

Pls don't let feminism win;

Cute boy mages +1

mage__the_sun_by_riingo-d5efy5y.png

Or just younger male options for all classes. It sucks being forced to play females when the males look all clunky, rugged, and obtuse. 

Edited by heroicfish
2 people like this

Posted

I understand it might be roleplaying orientated and justify a wixard's experience, but I was disappointed too with not being able to create a young looking wozard. What if it was just natural talent??

Posted

I couldn't agree with this more. It is a lack of knowledge in regard to character creation wich is actually still preventing me from buying one of the founders packs and getting into beta. I am very specific when it comes to character customiztion and completely abhor games that limit you to either the stereotypical steroid induced toned male in many MMO's or to being some old dude. I want my males to look as young as possible and I do not see why it is so difficult to have the option available for people if they want it. I was a beta tester for ESO and disdained the game...returned again a bout a month ago and couldnt get past the character customization screen after dropping 30$ on it because of this same thing. If i knew BDO had truly unlimited character customization then I would gladly buy the full 100$ pack because EVERYTHING else about the game looks totally worth it, and character customization would seal the deal for me

Posted

I feel in this game the customizations are far better than others I have played, however I never played one with age locking. Gender locking is annoying enough, but I know not all the classes are out yet and the counter parts have different names. But I do wonder for all their talent and power.. no wizard has figured out how to make themselves look younger than they are?  I've always liked the thought of not being able to tell what your opponent is based on the model of the character, and wizard will stick out like a sore thumb.  But I suppose it would help if the lores were easier to find.  Though I may have totally missed them.  I do enjoy lore and keeping to some of the restraints, but if I cant make my character look the way I want to present how I play I will just skip over the class and never play it. I fear wizard could become a dead class because of this.   Although I should mention I have yet to even get in the game.... finally managed to make a character only to have the game crash before I could get in world.  

Posted (edited)

Any idea where you read this? I so want this to be true

i really want to play wizard but looking like an over age pensioner does not appeal to me at  all, I understand why they would be old but magic users age does not need to bed reflected in their appearance as we see with witches. I fully support this suggestion and really hope the developers will listen and include an option to make the character look a lot younger than currently possibly.

When I jump into the game I'd ideally like be a young adventurer setting off in the world, and as you have to learn magic skills and level them up as you go through the game why make the character old? Are we saying that it takes him 70 years to master the most basic of spells? Surely if he has to be old we should start off with all the skills? It doesn't make sense to me that you start off as an old wise wizard with no skills and have to go practice basic spells on a dummy with young swordsman and women etc.

I understand that the lore dictates they took along time to learn magic but as I've stated above it just doesn't make sense gameplay when creating a new character, just my opinion.

Edited by FelixTetsuya
1 person likes this

Posted

+1 so much. I'm considering roleplaying a witch class as a young wizard - if the lore says men have to work decades to achieve the same level of skill (though I think that's utter BS, a proposed fan theory that's been taken as fact) then I'll roleplay a supremely untalented wizard, I don't care, I just don't want to be Gandalf :(

I really hope the talk of them working on young wizards is true. And... actually young wizards. Not in their 40s or 30s wizards. If I can have just one young, wrinkle-free wizard pre-set I'll play the class in a heartbeat.