• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

Reasoning behind Optional Subscription?

34 posts in this topic

Posted

I've seen a few posts about an optional subscription model, and I don't clearly understand it's purpose. From what I've gathered, a subscription model works because it has some sort of incentive that makes the players buy it. If the subscription model is fair, then it loses that incentive making it useless. Subscription models need to provide something that the player feels is necessary otherwise no one wants it and it generates no revenue. So what is the purpose behind an optional subscription model in a fair cash shop? Why would players feel that it is necessary when generally spending money on the cash shop serves the same purpose and is also much more flexible?

Posted

You could have just posted this in the optional sub thread.

People like a subscription fee MMORPG because theoretically it prevents bullshit P2W items from ever entering the cash shop. Look at WoW or FFXIV for examples.

An optional subscription fee could do cosmetic things like infinite character makeovers, you could get certain cosmetic items for logging on every day along with mileage, like dye bundles. Sub fee doesn't HAVE to be P2W and some people would find those benefits worth $10 a month or whatever. Some people have that money to spend and they don't care.

Posted (edited)

KR just introduced premium sub for infinite dyes at 15 days or 30 days, lets you dye any thing at any time during the sub, given the item has not been perma dyed already(they also have white-out potion to remove colors from perma dyed items).

Edited by Kazanova

Posted

Only subscription i can see implemented is subscription for getting extra pearls each month at a cheaper price than buying the packs or something.

1 person likes this

Posted

Optional subscription, such as Star Wars the Old Republic and Star Trek Online are a way that game companies try and hide P2W. Usually they give out discounts to cash shop items and various aesthetic item bonuses in exchange for guaranteed player input of x dollars a month. However, devs usually find out that people don't subscribe unless additional gameplay altering bonuses (such as exp gain, enhanced armor types, subscription only items and mechanics, etc...) and quickly add those after seeing such lackluster sub numbers.

It's a revenue scheme and does nothing good to the gameplay. As with all P2W revenue models, it is a way to generate revenue because the game itself is not good enough to generate sufficient interest to sell cash shop items. If anything can be learned from the last decade of MMO's, it's that a good game will pay for itself. Concentrate on making BDO an awesome game and the company won't need to go to any P2W scheme. Arenanet proved that in spades with GW1 and GW2

6 people like this

Posted (edited)

An optional sub is just a way to sell non pay to win cash shop items in an alternative way - to create options for players that choose to exercise alternative purchasing methods.  This creates additional sources of revenue for the publisher to be able to pay their bills and continue to use Pearl Abyss as a developer.   People who say B2P is the one all end all simply still believe in the fantasy of the golden egg.

Edited by bdo77
my speeling is are be really bad

Posted

I love it when people use PvE games in P2W arguments.

Posted

KR just introduced premium sub for infinite dyes at 15 days or 30 days, lets you dye any thing at any time during the sub, given the item has not been perma dyed already(they also have white-out potion to remove colors from perma dyed items).

I'm still going to buy dye packs. With the deals you get on those if you have a large wardrobe you plan on dying it's better to go longterm and buy packs rather than chain yourself to a premium sub. Sure you won't get all the colors you need at once (also wish we had a monotone pallet) but you won't spend as much as using a premium sub over and over. 

Posted

To be honest I'd be 100% down for this, I like making my characters pretty and this isn't p2w in the slightest. 

3 people like this

Posted

To be honest I'd be 100% down for this, I like making my characters pretty and this isn't p2w in the slightest. 

Yeah I agree. Its P2LS. (Pay 2 look sexy) ;)

1 person likes this

Posted

I'm still going to buy dye packs. With the deals you get on those if you have a large wardrobe you plan on dying it's better to go longterm and buy packs rather than chain yourself to a premium sub. Sure you won't get all the colors you need at once (also wish we had a monotone pallet) but you won't spend as much as using a premium sub over and over. 

Forgot to mention that the dye sub also lets you choose any color at any time, I think that's the main selling point, I myself likely be with you and buy packs instead, but aren't those RNG colors?

Posted

Forgot to mention that the dye sub also lets you choose any color at any time, I think that's the main selling point, I myself likely be with you and buy packs instead, but aren't those RNG colors?

Yeah, monotones (mainly white & black) are the RNG colors. Which is kind of unfortunate for the B2P version in my personal opinion. You could still get a wide range of greys in a monotone pallet and have a hard time getting pure colors.  

Posted

Optional subscription, such as Star Wars the Old Republic and Star Trek Online are a way that game companies try and hide P2W. Usually they give out discounts to cash shop items and various aesthetic item bonuses in exchange for guaranteed player input of x dollars a month. However, devs usually find out that people don't subscribe unless additional gameplay altering bonuses (such as exp gain, enhanced armor types, subscription only items and mechanics, etc...) and quickly add those after seeing such lackluster sub numbers.

It's a revenue scheme and does nothing good to the gameplay. As with all P2W revenue models, it is a way to generate revenue because the game itself is not good enough to generate sufficient interest to sell cash shop items. If anything can be learned from the last decade of MMO's, it's that a good game will pay for itself. Concentrate on making BDO an awesome game and the company won't need to go to any P2W scheme. Arenanet proved that in spades with GW1 and GW2

these games, SWTOR specifically also make it so you have to pay for subscription if you want to level up at a practical rate, earn credits at a reasonable rate and prohibit use of legendary items. And destroys dues if you decide to remove or replace them from an item. It's useless to play it without a sub and before I found out about this game (BDO) I was seriously contemplating subscribing again even though I know I wouldn't play it for more than a month.

F2P is a joke. 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

these games, SWTOR specifically also make it so you have to pay for subscription if you want to level up at a practical rate, earn credits at a reasonable rate and prohibit use of legendary items. And destroys dues if you decide to remove or replace them from an item. It's useless to play it without a sub and before I found out about this game (BDO) I was seriously contemplating subscribing again even though I know I wouldn't play it for more than a month.

F2P is a joke. 

So true,

F2P=P2W The worst! Crappy clone copycat games with built in systems designed to cause, not minimize inconvenience.

B2P=a mixed bag of goodies between bad P2W and Pure benevolence by the game company.

Subscription=Only the game company wins here, the player loses... Has the best features though.

Edited by LordOnichan
1 person likes this

Posted

Thank You to those who responded, I'm happy that the comments were insightful and I think I have a better understanding on the topic now. :)

Posted

Subscription=Only the game company wins here, the player loses... Has the best features though.

What? In a sub game the player loses? How do you figure? I'd pay $10 a month if it guaranteed the game wouldn't ever become P2W. I'd do it in a heartbeat. $10 a month is chump change.

Posted

What? In a sub game the player loses? How do you figure? I'd pay $10 a month if it guaranteed the game wouldn't ever become P2W. I'd do it in a heartbeat. $10 a month is chump change.

Id pay $20, even more if the game was good. I have a $1 an hour rule I use for games. If I can get 1 hour/$1 Im golden.

Posted

Maybe so. But gotta cut expenses where we can when over a third of each paycheck is being strong armed to government mandated insurance policies. Kinda have to cut down on luxury spending when the hobby even 10-15 per month hobby (let's see Xbox live, PSN, various MMO subscriptions, or even microtransactions geared to exploit impulsive, depressed, neurotic and otherwise crazy sad bastards).  Can't assume that everyone can afford this hobby of ours. Doesn't mean they shouldn't enjoy it.  That was supposed to be the beauty of play for free. 

Posted

I'd prefer DLC. Making a sub option just screams "I deserve to be able to do more for less work than non-subbers" because that's what it generally ends in. Or, in the case of energy, more work by being a sub.

On an unrelated note, have some dogs.

M8Hl9hn.png

3 people like this

Posted

I'd prefer DLC. Making a sub option just screams "I deserve to be able to do more for less work than non-subbers" because that's what it generally ends in. Or, in the case of energy, more work by being a sub.

I agree with you, sub fee done incorrectly is awful and game-breaking.

tumblr_nwi8r8aZK41rmhvepo1_500.png

1 person likes this

Posted

I'd rather not get bogged don in subscription fees and contracts. If the game is good and I feel the dev have been earning their keep, I'll buy cash shop stuff. Otherwise... No obligation. Buy to play gives the devs incentive to try new things, depending on what gets the most interest. Subscription means that the devs will always support the tried and true rather than risk losing subscribers.

Posted

In my opinion only :)

this game is not based around a sub but around a pay to play model and cash shop income. I love the pay to play model of this game and to be honest I will be shopping on the cash shop, I love accessorizing my toons and I will be supporting the game. I don't think I would sub to this game however, there would have to be progressive end game content for me to do so. there isn't any besides GvG warfare.

Don't get me wrong I am very motivated to play BDO, And I intend to support the game through the cash shop & I bought the conq pack, it just doesn't offer (At this point at least) the type of stuff I would expect from a sub based game.

Posted

F2P is a joke. 

Screenshot_2016-01-29_18_00_04_341914.jpg

Screenshot_2016-01-29_18_01_09_257352.jpg

Posted

Subscription is the best for player experience and actually cost less in the long run for everyone since everyone pays their part. I wish BDO was subscription and moved everything outside of cosmetics and account services (name change etc) out of the cash shop into mileage. 

1 person likes this

Posted

Subscription is the best for player experience and actually cost less in the long run for everyone since everyone pays their part. I wish BDO was subscription and moved everything outside of cosmetics and account services (name change etc) out of the cash shop into mileage. 

The game isn't strong enough for subscription. Weak monster behavior, lack of PVE content, no group content, and general unpolished feel of the UI and many of the game's core and subsystem mechanics would make any subscription based model unfeasible. The magazines and websites that review games would catch those weaknesses immediately and rate it harshly due o a sub model. As B2P reviewers can give a lot more leeway and judge less critically.

For their first NA release, PA and Daum are making a smart choice with B2P to build heir reputation for a solid game with no P2W. Which, like Arenanet and Guildwars 1, will allow their next title to hit megablockbuster AAA ratings and sales numbers.