• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

Male Character Design

24 posts in this topic

Posted

I'm a female but I also like to make male characters on occasion. I'm very disappointed that this game has one of the best character design options BUT you're very limited on your design when it comes to male characters. For example, when you click on Berserker.... Apparently you have to look like a monster because there aren't any other choices. As for another example, why are all the wizards old, wrinkly men? What if I'm a young, male wizard? The witches are cute, young girls-- not old hags. For another example, you can't adjust the hair other than the length and you're very limited on your options. For females, you can adjust almost every strand of hair on the head. So then, why not for males?

I'm not the only person who likes to make and adjust males. I can name at least 15 of my friends who would have a field day custom creating a male character if he/she had all the options that they allow for female characters. It's a bit sexist to make all the customization for females only, that's just condoning G.I.R.L's (guys in real life) to continue creating and playing as females. Men like to customize characters just as much as women, and not all men like to play as women.

Another nice option would be to pick your "age" so that the preset "faces" can be young, middle aged, or elderly. You have a very good start on character creation, so why stop now and leave it half finished?

1 person likes this

Posted

For example, when you click on Berserker.... Apparently you have to look like a monster because there aren't any other choices.

-Handsoming intensifies-

2016-01-24_196709642.thumb.JPG.3bef255ac

1 person likes this

Posted

WOW that berserker is handsome but i will agree on the hair options and length options male characters kinda got the shaft on that and on the age thing i dont really mind on wizard altho it would be nice to have the option to look younger :P i did my best to make him look younger and he turned out 50 or so xD

Posted

-Handsoming intensifies-

2016-01-29_304030698.JPG

Posted

It would be neat to have a "pick your age" option. 

Posted (edited)

This topic has been brought up a lot in the Gender Lock, More Classes at Launch, Wizard Age Lock and Blader for Launch threads here in Suggestions and the Classes subforum.

You should check them out as there are a lot of people that are not happy about the current state of male options, myself included.

Edited by TouchAndFeel

Posted

That's fine if there's more topics on it, I'm sure if we all b*$%# enough something might be done.

Posted

I fully agree, even in the other versions I played of Black Desert, I tried to make a wizard and found all the options were of old men. And i just couldnt tolerate playing the class even though I actually did like it. I just couldnt tolerate playing it with a character that I was pretty much unable to customize truly. 

And the hair options were very limited, many of the hair options I did want, were exclusive to another class, and the choices for that class was just so few. Im glad hey added more darker skin tones but theres more that could have been done there. All the male characters should share hair styles, and the same for females. It doesnt make sense for the already divided classes to have even more division in thier creation options. 

The Warrior for instance ends up looking roughly the same as most others simply because of the limited options to face and hair. Some of this could also be said about some of the female classes too such as the Sorceress and Tamer (though they have more general options still than the male classes).

IN conclusion, the inability to truly customize my character's look is what is preventing me from playing the classes I would actually like to try. Which wouldnt be much of a big deal if all the female characters didnt have more varied options and all the male characters are left with few and generic options. Not saying female classes should have less, the opposite, that they should have more as well as the male characters. As I said before they did good adding more skin tones, but there was much more needed additions to the character creation.

1 person likes this

Posted

I really don't understand that Wizard is and old man while the Witch is just an adult female. I get they're trying to get the Gandalf feel but I don't like the Wizard being stuck as an old man.

Posted

I honestly don't think the wizard I made looks incredibly old.

2016-01-31_36787570.thumb.JPG.cda8e50c462016-01-31_36810288.thumb.JPG.2ae533151d

1 person likes this

Posted

I really don't understand that Wizard is and old man while the Witch is just an adult female. I get they're trying to get the Gandalf feel but I don't like the Wizard being stuck as an old man.

If they were "realistic" with the Witch, she'd be an old crone (or at least older than she is).  Apparently the Witch we play as (according to the KR BDO Wiki) is an extremely talented/gifted/unique young woman, and is basically the result of a magical child prodigy.  Most men and women in her profession are older than she is.  So, she's basically a special snowflake in that regard.

So, I don't see why the Wizard had to be old. :/  Evidently younger Wizards/Witches are completely supported by lore, even if they're rarer, so we should definitely be able to make a younger Wizard.

I don't see it being changed, though.  I just hope for more male mage classes.

Posted

2016-01-29_304030698.JPG

I will join you in this handsome adventure, brothers!

Madness.thumb.PNG.ab64d339cd6b4d146c2db1

Posted

If they were "realistic" with the Witch, she'd be an old crone (or at least older than she is).  Apparently the Witch we play as (according to the KR BDO Wiki) is an extremely talented/gifted/unique young woman, and is basically the result of a magical child prodigy.  Most men and women in her profession are older than she is.  So, she's basically a special snowflake in that regard.

Then, looking at the picture of Kraves I do not think that the character shows more than 40 years ... call it "old" and not "adult" seems inappropriate.

Moreover, if we look at tradition, a unique aspect of the witches is that they can change their appearance to look younger: is no incoherent so if BDO allows female characters of this class more customizations, including age.

More generally, as far as I could see from the trailer, etc. (I'm still assembling my pc, so I have no access to any version of the game) I think that the choice of the developers note is to maintain a "narrative mark" distinct from all other similar games, which also takes inspiration from reality: I'm not surprised so if there are less aesthetic options for men, who in reallife tend to focus less on process their appearance

Posted

-Handsoming intensifies-

2016-01-29_304030698.JPG

I will join you in this handsome adventure, brothers!

Madness.thumb.PNG.ab64d339cd6b4d146c2db1

Destroy all stereotypes about our Giants!

2016-01-23_179011321.thumb.JPG.ace8482d8

Posted

Male options where kinda limited to be honest. You can make some nice characters. But they kinda get stereo type heroes. And the fact you can't fix the Wizard to be younger, or fix the hump back on the berserker is slightly sad. I'd gladly try berserker, if there was a middle ground on the inbreed body look. For now, I've only saved one male character, buts the most boring one. (pictures.) Normally like the kewl characters that have strong characteristics. Maybe a to big nose, but still they look good. That kinda thing. But having tons of fun so far with the editor. So much fun.

2016-01-25_49665978.PNG

2016-01-25_49677404.PNG

2016-01-25_49705827.PNG

2016-01-25_49714370.PNG

Posted

Then, looking at the picture of Kraves I do not think that the character shows more than 40 years ... call it "old" and not "adult" seems inappropriate.

Moreover, if we look at tradition, a unique aspect of the witches is that they can change their appearance to look younger: is no incoherent so if BDO allows female characters of this class more customizations, including age.

More generally, as far as I could see from the trailer, etc. (I'm still assembling my pc, so I have no access to any version of the game) I think that the choice of the developers note is to maintain a "narrative mark" distinct from all other similar games, which also takes inspiration from reality: I'm not surprised so if there are less aesthetic options for men, who in reallife tend to focus less on process their appearance

The Wizard is intended to be "old", though.  You can make him look young with a lot of work (and props to Kraves for that) but it's hard and clearly not intended as he certainly doesn't have a 40-year-old's body:

111.thumb.png.59a05cc0a74e145ef5619f9130

There is also no lore in BDO actually stating that they can change their appearance to look younger, though.  And if they could, Wizards could do it too.  The Witch is explicitly stated to be a young woman in the class description.  You can give her wrinkles, sure, but she has a young voice and a young body.

In general though, I agree, I think they just want to make sexy/cute/attractive women and don't really care about what the men look like sometimes.  There are currently many more female classes than male ones, for instance.  I don't think it necessarily is taking "aesthetic inspiration from reality" though, as men in the game can still have makeup, lipstick, green hair, pink eyelashes, starry pupils, whatever you can dream up.  The Witch was never originally going to be a class, until received an outcry from their fans for making the Wizard "old and ugly" (obviously, subjective) so they made her really fast and tossed her at everyone as a peace offering.  She was made strictly because the male Wizard wasn't received well.

1 person likes this

Posted

The Wizard is intended to be "old", though.  You can make him look young with a lot of work (and props to Kraves for that) but it's hard and clearly not intended as he certainly doesn't have a 40-year-old's body:

111.thumb.png.59a05cc0a74e145ef5619f9130

There is also no lore in BDO actually stating that they can change their appearance to look younger, though.  And if they could, Wizards could do it too.  The Witch is explicitly stated to be a young woman in the class description.  You can give her wrinkles, sure, but she has a young voice and a young body.

In general though, I agree, I think they just want to make sexy/cute/attractive women and don't really care about what the men look like sometimes.  There are currently many more female classes than male ones, for instance.  I don't think it necessarily is taking "aesthetic inspiration from reality" though, as men in the game can still have makeup, lipstick, green hair, pink eyelashes, starry pupils, whatever you can dream up.  The Witch was never originally going to be a class, until received an outcry from their fans for making the Wizard "old and ugly" (obviously, subjective) so they made her really fast and tossed her at everyone as a peace offering.  She was made strictly because the male Wizard wasn't received well.

I don't get why they added the Wizard. I posted a little while ago about this. As I wouldn't believe that the wizard would be popular this time neither. So why is he in the game and not for examples the Blader and Plum? Oh, and you say 40yr old. It's closer to 50, at least based from the people I see day to day. Really think the whole male side of the game needs some more attention. I know alot of people like females, and alot of the people playing males, just go for the default look. But if the options are better, the more variations we'll get in game. Even more people will play the classes. I normally like magic based classes. But the direct copy of Gandalf and lack of options really ruined that class for me. Anyone agree to this? Even the warrior class feel limited to making stereo types instead of being as lovely made as some of the female options. And from what I see, Warrior is offering the best "Customisation" of all the male options.

Posted

Male options where kinda limited to be honest. You can make some nice characters. But they kinda get stereo type heroes. And the fact you can't fix the Wizard to be younger, or fix the hump back on the berserker is slightly sad. I'd gladly try berserker, if there was a middle ground on the inbreed body look. 

Well technically not all giants are bigger humans, so the hunch in their back is not really an inbreeding issue.  Given a giant's height and physical strain that gravity can do to the back (I.E Tallest Human in the world has problems here aswell.) / the fact the giants have to forcefully hunchover to fit into other places given their size. Kyphosis itself is quite common in a lot of people just from poor posture alone. One last thing would be that the devs didn't want the usual "bigger human" standard to the classes, given you have 12 classes and only 2 of them being different races. 

Posted

Well technically not all giants are bigger humans, so the hunch in their back is not really an inbreeding issue.  Given a giant's height and physical strain that gravity can do to the back (I.E Tallest Human in the world has problems here aswell.) / the fact the giants have to forcefully hunchover to fit into other places given their size. Kyphosis itself is quite common in a lot of people just from poor posture alone. One last thing would be that the devs didn't want the usual "bigger human" standard to the classes, given you have 12 classes and only 2 of them being different races. 

It was just my whiny way to say I don't like the hunch. And would like to see something milder as a option. I get it's part of it's style. Don't believe a calmer hunch would hurt. And some more hair options. There is after all alot of inspirational options for that kind of character look. 

Posted

Hello. I couldn't agree more on topic. As male I play mmos only whit male char, and customize as much as possible to be like me in real life - kinda egoist, I know - and the main reason behind it, that I like to "live" in that world, and explore as myself. I'm disappointed that i can't do it in this spectacular game. I really would like to play as male sorc, but sadly that's not an option. Through i understand that the game was made originally for the eastern cultures, they want to sell it also in west... Even though the game - as far as i know - will be freely playable in Korean an Russian servers... So I'm pretty depressed that I have to pay for it and even though I can't play as I want. I'm really like this game - and probably will buy it anyway- because its unique in alot of ways, but this won't change if they make the game fully gender and age divers. I
think that if they want to sell this game in west have to make changes, for our taste, let us customize as much as possible.

Sorry for my English.
unique

Posted

Sadly the male character design options in this games are really limited and this is one of the few big downsides of BDO. Especially because Daum promotes the innovative and flexible character editor the way they do at the moment.

However, I doubt they can change this until release, even if they wanted to. :(

Posted

There is probably not much that will change with thing until release. But hopefully in the future they will expand. When buying you get those "redo" things for your character looks. So might come something in the future that makes it worth redoing your male character look for.

Posted

There is probably not much that will change with thing until release. But hopefully in the future they will expand. When buying you get those "redo" things for your character looks. So might come something in the future that makes it worth redoing your male character look for.

Might actually offer free appearance changers if they deem it progressive to add a bunch more customization options.  I'm saving my appearance changer for a rainy day already.

The game is still young.  QUITE young.  I'm confident that more things will emerge so long as we support it.

Posted

I don't need a "young" Wizard, or an small Fry who call himself a berserker. If its about that, i find they have done the correct thing. I like it more, to limited "some" Options, if its more immersive and fits better the World. It seems like, that Woman in BDO are more talented in Magic anyway, so it makes sense that, even if some "Man" did it to learn Magic, he have to learn for centurys, so i find it this way more immersive. The Real Dealbreaker however is the balancing. You have, if you watch at the Woman-Side 3 normal/sexylooking woman and 2 lolis. And like you said(this is one point i agree with you) with Woman you have many more options. Than look at the Man-Side. You have ONE normal looking, ONE Mountain-Troll (aka Giant) and ONE GabbaGandalf. The Real Dealbreaker here is the balancing issues. If you look at the Korean-Version, it is so much better balanced. You have with Ninja and Blader two optional normal looking Guys, so you aren't limited to only one Class for you if you want an normal Man as Maincharacter. But the Variety itself its given here, that a Wizard is mostly an Old-Guy and a beserker an Giant, this is no issue for me.