• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

Guide to producing consistent Sharp and Hard Black Crystal Shards

321 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

UPDATE 7/16/2016: 

Hello everyone:

I am sorry for not posting my guide as promised earlier in this thread.

Shortly after posting this thread, officers in my guild and my guild master approached me and were very upset that I released this information to the public instead of letting them greedily whore it for themselves to try to get an advantage over everyone else on Orwen. He wanted me to delete this thread / my posts but I refused to do so. Long story short, a week's gone by and I left that guild. (Not to mention, how stupid is it to act like my guide is an IP that belongs to the guild I'm in? LOLOL!)

Anyways, I promise to get that guide up for you guys now ASAP!

Not to make anymore excuses but today is my father's birthday so I won't be able to post it today since we're going out of town for the day. I'll try my best to get it up tomorrow. But I sincerely DO promise to get it up for you guys as soon as I finish it. Stay tuned -- will update this thread with a link to the guide when it's ready.

Welcome!

I posted this in another thread but thought more people might find it useful so I'm making a thread and copying the other post into this one.

Farming is currently the BEST way to get shards in game. 

Sorry if 'guide' is misleading as this is more of just a very brief introduction into my method of getting shards for profit. I can make a very indepth farming guide if people wish, I know dulfy's is appreciated but I feel it does NOT explain how to use farming efficiently or economically. 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"The secret to getting shards frequently is farming. With 100 crops (100cp = 10 strong fences), I pull about 70 shards a week, maybe more. That's after spending around 200 energy a day (I'm  Pro8 in farming). I get around 2-3 shards for every 100 fixes. Sometimes a little less frequently, but my ratio is around 1 for 40-50 energy. It's a very consistent and reliable drop rate. I do not plan on rushing my +20s (i'm focused on getting at least all tri jewelry first), so i sold all of my shards and made almost 400 mil in the span of a few hours. Farming is an amazing and lucrative way to make money and supplement your buffs if done correctly.

My recommendation is planting 100 crops of seeds that have an 8 hour breed time. Plant fixes proc everytime your energy is refreshed(every 3 minutes), so if you wait 30-60 minutes, you can generally go into your garden have anywhere from 40-100 fixes available (so a potential 1-2 shards an hour). I've found sharp and hard shards to drop at a very even rate, and it's usually in a 1:1 ratio (for every sharp i get a hard shard also). i've even gotten such good rng that I get BOTH shards from one fix.

Here's a screenshot of the chatbox AFTER i got that double shard proc from a single fix (I got 2 shards and a twig). Unfortunately, I'm so used to spamming R for fixing that I pressed R to loot before I realized what kind of RNG i got on the drop, so I missed the screenshot of both shards in the loot window.

2016-06-26_684668476.JPG

I. 200 energy gives me 4~500 fixes(varies depending on rng). 

II. If i spend the entire day farming (and rest on pearl store bed between fixes), I can do about 500 energy (depending on how much willpower and patience i have before i go bored and want to go beat down sausans to relieve stress) and get about 15-20 shards.

III. In this photo I have dry manes and hump mushrooms because i breed them for fruits of magic power and enchant. i don't recommend them strictly for farming shards or leveling, though. i'd go with t3 fire flake, t3 wheat, or t3 potatos. anything with a long harvest time."

I will update this post with a screenshot after another week to show my supply of shards, as I've sold most of them last night/this morning for jewelry enchanting, liverto enchanting and horse armor enchanting money (which I was able almost do all of!) <-- ~400mil/week/50-60mil a day in shards alone, probably another 5-10 mil in seeds/spirit leaves/monk branches/female kermes.

Edited by Dead2Rights
25 people like this

Posted

You seriously sold all of your shards? I'm going to throw up

1 person likes this

Posted

How you get 70 shards a week? How many time do you prun your farm each day?

Posted

You seriously sold all of your shards? I'm going to throw up

It is very easy to get them farming. It's really no big deal, and I feel that jewelry is far more important for me than worrying about +20 right now

I prune it hundreds of times a day. I say it in the guide, but instead of saying pruning i call it 'fixing' as a broader way of talking about both pruning AND insecticide

I also just learned that you can have more than 10 strong fences down. I thought there was a cap of 10, but I guess not. So get as many as CP will allow and prune to your hearts content

Posted

Do you get shards from harvesting and breeding as well?

Posted

Do you get shards from harvesting and breeding as well?

Unfortunately not, only from pruning/insecticide.

Posted (edited)

Does Luck increase the rate of obtaining them? You didn't mention anything about Luck. And... how did you obtain 10 fences? You can just rent only one from some cities, I think from 3 cities.... But I'm not sure, I want to know :D 

Edited by Sandrituky

Posted

It's called being an autismage veteran. He's probably a german, they love that life simulator stuff. Lets them escape the fantasy hell their real life really is.

1 person likes this

Posted

Hello everyone,

I posted this in another thread but thought more people might find it useful so I'm making a thread and copying the other post into this one.

Farming is currently the BEST way to get shards in game. 

Sorry if 'guide' is misleading as this is more of just a very brief introduction into my method of getting shards for profit. I can make a very indepth farming guide if people wish, I know dulfy's is appreciated but I feel it does NOT explain how to use farming efficiently or economically. 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"The secret to getting shards frequently is farming. With 100 crops (100cp = 10 strong fences), I pull about 70 shards a week, maybe more. That's after spending around 200 energy a day (I'm  Pro8 in farming). I get around 2-3 shards for every 100 fixes. Sometimes a little less frequently, but my ratio is around 1 for 40-50 energy. It's a very consistent and reliable drop rate. I do not plan on rushing my +20s (i'm focused on getting at least all tri jewelry first), so i sold all of my shards and made almost 400 mil in the span of a few hours. Farming is an amazing and lucrative way to make money and supplement your buffs if done correctly.

My recommendation is planting 100 crops of seeds that have an 8 hour breed time. Plant fixes proc everytime your energy is refreshed(every 3 minutes), so if you wait 30-60 minutes, you can generally go into your garden have anywhere from 40-100 fixes available (so a potential 1-2 shards an hour). I've found sharp and hard shards to drop at a very even rate, and it's usually in a 1:1 ratio (for every sharp i get a hard shard also). i've even gotten such good rng that I get BOTH shards from one fix.

Here's a screenshot of the chatbox AFTER i got that double shard proc from a single fix (I got 2 shards and a twig). Unfortunately, I'm so used to spamming R for fixing that I pressed R to loot before I realized what kind of RNG i got on the drop, so I missed the screenshot of both shards in the loot window.

2016-06-26_684668476.JPG

I. 200 energy gives me 4~500 fixes(varies depending on rng). 

II. If i spend the entire day farming (and rest on pearl store bed between fixes), I can do about 500 energy (depending on how much willpower and patience i have before i go bored and want to go beat down sausans to relieve stress) and get about 15-20 shards.

III. In this photo I have dry manes and hump mushrooms because i breed them for fruits of magic power and enchant. i don't recommend them strictly for farming shards or leveling, though. i'd go with t3 fire flake, t3 wheat, or t3 potatos. anything with a long harvest time."

I will update this post with a screenshot after another week to show my supply of shards, as I've sold most of them last night/this morning for jewelry enchanting, liverto enchanting and horse armor enchanting money (which I was able almost do all of!) <-- ~400mil/week/50-60mil a day in shards alone, probably another 5-10 mil in seeds/spirit leaves/monk branches/female kermes.

great idea

Posted

Does Luck increase the rate of obtaining them? You didn't mention anything about Luck. And... how did you obtain 10 fences? You can just rent only one from some cities, I think from 3 cities.... But I'm not sure, I want to know :D 

ahh you have store it or put it down, you cant request another one if there's one in inventory 

Posted (edited)

It's called being an autismage veteran. He's probably a german, they love that life simulator stuff. Lets them escape the fantasy hell their real life really is.

LMAO you crack me up!

AFAIK Luck doesn't affect Life Skills, but that's according to players on reddit and forums. I don't know if there's an official source for this, but I have +5 luck at all times so I couldn't say if this affects my drop rate or not.

edit: forgot to answer your question about fences (perempt touched on it) -- you can rent a face, place it or store in bank, and then rent another. Rinse and repeat until you have all your fences. 

The best area for harvesting for yields (in my experience) is currently Moretti Plantation. You can have hectare-esque setup to your farm and utilize fertilizers and water very efficiently, because you can create 4-fence squares that require only 1 fertilizer and a couple of water to maintain all 4 fences. So I'd recommend setting up 10 fences here if you want to harvest for actual crops. I put all of my fences right outside the Altinova Entrance along Stonebeak Shore because my hometown is Altinova and I find the proximity of vendors (stable vendor offloading excess seeds) very convenient. 

My farm location: 

pFNHoH9.jpg

Just to show more farming RNG for shards.. (this morning)

Within 5 minutes of beginning to prune my plants:

http://i.imgur.com/KQKwfFu.jpg

15 Minutes later:

http://imgur.com/tChyBKy

This is a common theme.

Edited by Dead2Rights
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

LMAO you crack me up!

AFAIK Luck doesn't affect Life Skills, but that's according to players on reddit and forums. I don't know if there's an official source for this, but I have +5 luck at all times so I couldn't say if this affects my drop rate or not.

edit: forgot to answer your question about fences (perempt touched on it) -- you can rent a face, place it or store in bank, and then rent another. Rinse and repeat until you have all your fences. 

The best area for harvesting for yields (in my experience) is currently Moretti Plantation. You can have hectare-esque setup to your farm and utilize fertilizers and water very efficiently, because you can create 4-fence squares that require only 1 fertilizer and a couple of water to maintain all 4 fences. So I'd recommend setting up 10 fences here if you want to harvest for actual crops. I put all of my fences right outside the Altinova Entrance along Stonebeak Shore because my hometown is Altinova and I find the proximity of vendors (stable vendor offloading excess seeds) very convenient. 

My farm location: 

pFNHoH9.jpg

Just to show more farming RNG for shards.. (this morning)

Within 5 minutes of beginning to prune my plants:

http://i.imgur.com/KQKwfFu.jpg

15 Minutes later:

http://imgur.com/tChyBKy

This is a common theme.

It's very funny because I've made my farm in the SAME PLACE AS YOU, BEFORE watching this image. LOL xD

And thanks for the tip about renting fences, I didn't know about it! For now I just have one farm, I will set up another later, I just have cp for 2 :( 

Edited by Sandrituky

Posted

It's very funny because I've made my farm in the SAME PLACE AS YOU, BEFORE watching this image. LOL xD

And thanks for the tip about renting fences, I didn't know about it! For now I just have one farm, I will set up another later, I just have cp for 2 :( 

'Great minds think alike' :-)

And that is, unfortunately, the biggest downside to farming: it's taxing on the contribution points!

2 people like this

Posted

Do you get more shards when you have a higher farming level? Also, can you make a farming guide.. pretty please... :)

1 person likes this

Posted

It sounds really interesting will try that! Doyou think there is a point with lets say two 10CP fences? Or it would pay of with more like you have? Ale the question about farming level interests me - did you compare your results with someone whoe is lower? Last question - the rarity of crops - does it influence the shard yields if you grow white /green/blue plants?

Posted (edited)

^ Hi guys, I'll work on making a guide today for you when I get back from work! I will take all questions in this thread and answer them, as well as go through some strategies I use for farming for profit. Look for the guide at some point tomorrow~

Mathos, a brief answer to your question would be: the more CP the better. I would recommend not farming with anything less than 10 large fences (100CP) if you are trying to farm for shards. Since this game is heavily RNG based, the more plants you have available to prune, the higher your chances of getting a shard are. You can try with 2 strong fences, but it will more than likely take you 5 times longer, if not more, with only 20 crops.

Also Lexxie, they introduced shards to farming after I was skill10. I couldn't say if level has an effect on drop rate, but since gathering's level directly affects rare drops while collecting, that I would say it is safe to assume the same about farming. Higher level = more drops when pruning/removing insects.

Edited by Dead2Rights
1 person likes this

Posted

can workers get sharp and hard too?

btw till now had very bad luck, tried this last 3 days = 0 (didnt use workers)

Posted

na only with bare hand or tools, worker can t get any shard sadly, would be too op otherwise anyway^^

Posted

Does it make a difference if you use tools for farming?

Posted

If you are trolling, you will regret! *Not sure how but yea :$ *
If not well thank you, sir, I will try this out whenever possible.
I still can`t believe drop rate is that high, then everyone would farm 24/7  O.o

Posted

I wanna do this so bad but I'd have to forfeit a whole city of cp D:

Posted

Very curious as to whether this is with regular or lucky tools!

If this is legit, I'll be so upset - spent an obscene number of hours gathering with only lucky tools (trashed the unlucky ones) to get 1 shard every 100-150 energy at a ratio of 1 sharp to every 3 hard

Posted

What are some crops with 8h breed times? Does it specifically have to be 8h or can you use sunflowers which is like only 4-5h

Posted

cool, but I will stick with gathering tomatoes with my alts =D

Posted

Great guid, its just saying that "spend your entire life to a -----ing lifeskill, or gtfo"...